3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Disappointing throttle response - how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 06:39 AM
lucifuhrman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointing throttle response - how to fix?

I got my new '05 Ram 1500 w/HEMI in large part because I liked the idea of a truck with lots of power. I used to ride motorcycles and few things are more fun to me than a good hard pull from a stop and the feeling of being pushed back under acceleration. I was quite suprised by what I feel to be an anemic throttle response from my Ram when starting from a full stop or at low RPM's - I think my Honda Accord performs much better! I have to push the gas peddal down quite a bit to get it to go from a stop.

Are there any mods or other things you might suggest that would result a faster throttle response and a stronger pull from a full stop or low rpm's? We use the truck primarily as an around-town commuter and we want to keep it that way - we just want better responsiveness.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Paul

Old 10-15-2005, 11:25 AM
05_black_beast
Professional
Default RE: Disappointing throttle response - how to fix?

Torque management be damned!

From what I understand, there is no way to bypass it yet. Hopefully someone is working on figuring out a way to reflash the PCM and remove this.

-jimmy

Old 10-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is unfortunately, one of the bad things of "throttle by wire". We are subject to someone elses idea of what we like to have for throttle response. I have a stick in my truck, which eliminates the torque management portion of the computer control, but I'm still wired to the computer for the engine management. I notice that the "foot down---rpm's up" response is not nearly what I'm used to in connected throttle linkage, but it is something I'm slowly getting used to. I find I'm more carefull to listen to the rpm response of the engine brfore I start letting out the clutch---for normal driving. In the beginning, it was almost like learning a stick all over again.

Old 10-15-2005, 07:22 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Put a turbo or a S/C, then you shoudl be satisfied. Or you can go drive a F-150 then get back in your truck. A HUGE difference.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:10 PM
RedSS454
Veteran

Yes, the difference between fly-by-wire and good old fashioned linkage is huge, but remember how much a Ram weighs. The curb weight on my 04 was 5116 lbs. Thats heavy. Getting that to move is quite a challenge, even for a Hemi.

Do the 04's have the tourqu management system? When I first got the truck, I took it out and at a stop sign, hammered it. It spun the wheel a few times, nothing killer, but enough to wake the guy in BMW up that was next to me. My truck has a slight hesitation, but nothing too bad. My aunt has a 2000(?) Maxima and taht has one big time.

And Paul, I cannot agree more. Acceleration is the best feeling in the world. I love opening the secondaries from a roll in my Chevelle and feeling the 400+ ft/lbs of tourqe from a 454 pin you into the seat.

Chris

Old 10-15-2005, 09:49 PM
tazassape
Amateur

Get the S/C Flashpaq. You will not be dissapointed!

Old 10-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Avanti
Captain

What model did you get? Gear ratio? If you bought the heaviest four-door and the lowest numerical rear end, this is life.

It is important to buy or order judiciously if you want decent go, but that said, realize this truck is never going to be great since it weights so d**ned much--just the laws of physics.

Naturally, anything can be made to go adequately quick if you want to drop the resources to do so; some ways have been suggested.

All the best.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:53 AM
lucifuhrman

Thx for the input.

In response to most recent post, my truck has the 3.92 axle ratio and anti-spin differential. To be honest I don't really know what all that stuff means, but I imagine it has something to do with gearing, which in turn would bear on off-the-line jump. I didn't really want the anti-spin and 3.92, but the truck was the only one they could find that fit my other equipment interests. With my luck the anti-spin and/or 3.92 axle ratio actually hurt off-the-line.

What d'yall think?

Old 10-16-2005, 06:50 AM
Avanti
Captain

You got the right gear ratio... for quick take-offs. Had you gotten one of the others it would be WORSE! From your initial post, you got the right setup.

However, as I said, there is just too much mass for the amount of power, to be a hotrod. Sorry. Here's a comparison. My C-5 Vette with nearly identical power when stock and with a 3.42 rearend (not as much of a stump puller as the 3.92) did 0-60 in under 5 seconds. How with the same power and less gear? Weighing about 3200 pounds and much wider tires both help. Your truck may weight a ton more!

Enjoy your truck and my advice is that if you want a hotrod buy one. Your truck really isn't likely to ever be one, at least not without a lot of bucks.

All the best.

Old 10-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be also noted that trucks really weren't "designed" to be hotrods stock out of the box. They look sporty and all, but true light to light drag machine--not really. The attitude of most car manufacturers is that specialization of the individuals vehicle is up to that person. These are vehicles created for the masses, with some options thown in. All-in-all, I believe they've done a fair job. The setup in your truck is great for what you were looking for, and the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) is great--no one tire fire!
Enjoy your truck!!

Quick Reply: Disappointing throttle response - how to fix?