3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant Leak (front of oil pan)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:21 PM
GreenEH
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak (front of oil pan)

Hey guys, been trying to source a coolant leak that leaves about a 1-2 inch diameter spot on my driveway every morning. I have a 2003 with a 5.7 hemi rebuilt last year (after a valve spring catastrophe)

I cleaned up all around the front of the engine and sat there under the truck waiting for something to drip. I found that there is a spot near the front of the oil pan on the driver's side just behind the timing cover that's seeping. Here is a link to the picture http://s302.photobucket.com/user/sav...tml?sort=3&o=0

I figure its the timing cover leaking near its bottom bolt but I am a little thrown off as the bolt is dry and you can see its seeping through the oil pan gasket just behind the timing cover and not at the timing cover seam itself. I know there are coolant jackets running through the timing cover that its gasket must seal off, is there anything of the sort sealed off by the oil pan (I wouldn't think so but who knows)? I have checked my oil to see if any coolant is making its way into the sump and it appears that it is clean. This is my only worry as of right now.

I have fixed a leaking timing cover on a 5.9 magnum engine just last year and what a PITA (removing the harmonic balancer sucked!). I have a feeling that I will be doing the same job shortly here with my hemi.

Help me confirm the source of this leak before I tear into things guys!

Thanks

Old 04-12-2014, 07:11 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you a warranty that came with the engine rebuild. If it really is leaking from that gasket then it should be covered under warranty. I assume you checked the thermostat area for any signs of a leak. Seems like you have coolant running down the cover till it gets to the oil pan on the outside of where the oil pan gasket sits.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:17 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

There is supposed to be a little sealant under the bottom of the timing cover where it meets the bottom of the block and oil pan. It is likely that is where it has failed. Go to our FAQs/DIY section and find the thread on how to chance a cam in a hemi and scroll down through the pics. You will see what I'm talking about. You can also use that thread as a guide to fix the issue

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak (front of oil pan)