3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

08 Ram intermittent no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:27 PM
RebornxShiznat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Ram intermittent no start

Ok guys I have a question My 2008 ram occasionally doesn't want to start.

Now I think I know what the culprit is but I want to run this by some other minds and see what they have to say.

What happens is the truck will randomly not start. You turn the key to start and nothing happens. Almost as if you were trying to start without the clutch depressed. I have eliminated this being the clutch switch by bypassing the clutch switch and the problem persists. The truck also has a remote start system installed that works flawlessly, never has it failed to remote start. This leads me to believe the following. The ignition switch is failing to send the appropriate signals to the vehicle for it to start. This to me seems like the most logical conclusion because if it was the starter itself.. then the remote start would see similar issues. Really if it was anything else outside of the ignition switch it would happen not only when trying to start with the key but with the remote start as well. I have found online that the ignition switch itself is fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. Any other thoughts from some other veterans on the forums?

Old 05-01-2014, 05:13 AM
thunderhawk09
Rookie

The next Morning after A got my 2005 ram It Failed To Start The Same Way Scared Me Big Time Seeing That I Had Not Had it 24hrs yet After Trying A Few Thing And No Luck I Thought Maybe Its the Starter Relay So I Found the Relay in Under Hood Panel And Switched It With The AC Relay It Turns Out That Was The Problem With Mine I Guess Contacts Are Getting Build Up On Them I intended To Switch The Old Relay On The AC out Later with new one but the Relay Being On AC Its Not Failed Again Yet But Summer Is Just Getting Started Try The relay It worked for me If The switching relays don't work them yes it sounds like the Ignition Switch

Last edited by thunderhawk09; 05-01-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:20 AM
thunderhawk09
Rookie

Sorry for extra post first time in meant to hit edit button and hit quote didn't catch it till posted

Last edited by thunderhawk09; 05-01-2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:52 AM
Landon0426
Default Same problem

I had driven my 08 dodge 4.7 all day and then parked it and when I came to restart it nothing. I tired to jump it nothing. None of the lights were working the door didn't ding with the key in and so I left it. Came back the next day and it fired right up. I still don't know what is wrong with it but it has only done it one other time. I unhooked the battery and hooked it back up and it worked??!!

Old 05-29-2014, 04:23 AM
thzpcs
Amateur

Is there an issue with the transponder in the key?

Quick Reply: 08 Ram intermittent no start