3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changing tranny fluid and filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 11:43 PM
hoopdad
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: changing tranny fluid and filter

I have a 2004 Ram Hemi with 43000 miles. I've been meaning to change the fluid myself for about 8,000 miles, when I did the differentials. I'd never done differentials myself before, but did ok, but still haven't done AT fluid/filter change on any kind of vehicle. I would like to try though and am sure, using the tips from this thread, that I can do this myself.

How much ATF+4 did you need? (quarts?)

Does Royal Purple make a compatible synthetic fluid? I used Royal Purple in the differentials based on the reccomendation of a friend. Or is there a better synthetic? I just watched Trucks on Spike TV, and they showed improved efficiency just using all syntehtics in engine, differentials, and the AT.

Where can I find that replacement pan with a drain?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-30-2005, 11:56 PM
HemiBuell
Captain

Tranny Pans

Old 11-09-2005, 04:30 AM
muddauber5.7
Professional

I'm finally going to replace my tranny fluid and filter myself this weekend. And yes I bought the atf+4, just have to buy the filter yet. For those of you that have already changed it on the hemi, what specs did you torque the pan bolts to? And does the filter screw into place or just slide in? Avanti in an earlier thread said to buy high temp silicone to use on the filter if it didn't come with a gasket. Also said factory filter was gasketless, then why put silicone on new filter if factory didn't put one on? Thanks for the info. GOOD DAY!!!

Old 11-09-2005, 08:50 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

The high temp rtv is for the tranny pan not the filter. the filter itself will have a gasket installed. make sure if you do use the rtv that the surface is clean and dry before applying the silicone. As far as bolt TQ I'm not sure on the number but just snug the up tight but be careful not to over tighten as they are fairly easy to strip out if you try and over tighten.

Quick Reply: changing tranny fluid and filter