3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

changing tranny fluid and filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 03:13 AM
muddauber5.7
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing tranny fluid and filter

Has anyone changed their trans fluid and filter themselves? If so what did filter run for the 5.7L, and was it a pain to change,or worth it to not pay the price of a trans shop!! Thanks for input.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:20 AM
thump186
Record Breaker
Default RE: changing tranny fluid and filter

It can be done at home but be prepared for a mess. The filter will run you about 20 bucks at most parts stores plus the cost of tranny fluid. Its not really that bad but if you don't feel comfortable doing it have someone do it.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:15 AM
tazassape
Amateur

You don't say what year or how much mileage your truck has. If you have any warranty I'd let the dealer do it just for the record in case there are any issues later on. CYA

Old 10-17-2005, 04:06 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

You can do it yourself. Just be prepared for a little mess. Also, are there bands we have to adjust like the 46rfe trannies? If so, I'd be sure to adjust the bands. I'd rather spend the little bit of money (since I used to work at the dealership) and let someone else do it, although you can do it yourself. Be sure to use approved ATF.

By the way, how much was the tranny shop gonna charge you?

Old 10-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Avanti
Captain

If you opt to do it yourself:

1) Keep all receipts for fluid and filter and "log" it in some way for warranty issues later, if they arise,

2) Have high-temp silicone sealer on-hand if the new filter doesn't come with a real gasket to replace the gasketless factory assembly (some do, some don't),

3) either get a drain plug "kit" you can install in the stock pan while it is off to lessen the mess next time (which encourages more frequent fluid and filter changes), or buy the great aftermarket aluminum pan with plug and 3 qt greater capacity--perfect time to do this conversion, imho.

Other than being messy with the "drainless" pan the first time, it is no biggy.

Here are some tips:

1) spread lots of stuff to catch spills and leave a pan bolt installed but loose in all four corners when "breaking loose" the factory silicone seal. Sometimes the pan can be pretty well stuck and without the bolts still in place to catch it, one can drop it. This is a REAL mess!

2) if using silicone to reseal, do NOT use too much. A thin bead all the way around is sufficient. Many use too much and squish it out inside the pan where it can eventually break loose and get in the fluid. Needless obstruction to the pickup screen.

All the best.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:34 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And make sure the flanges on the pan and tranny, where the pan meets the tranny are clean and dry BEFORE you put the silicone on so it will stick, and not float, and eventually push out leaving that wonderful OH S**T spot on the driveway or garage floor. Its not hard, but like mentioned above, get the drain plug kit. Its much easier the second time. A friend of mine that used to mechanic for a Dodge dealer told me the best thing you can do for a Dodge automatic tranny is change the fluid at regulat intervals. So. I did on my old 93 Dakota 5.2L. I just sold it with 208,000 miles. Original engine and tranny---and still pulling strong. Take it for what its worth, changing the fluid yearly is cheap insurance, and much more that an oil change in terms of work

Old 10-17-2005, 11:52 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Gone Fishin makes a good tip, make sure the pan is dry before you add the sealant. Also as stated, a little goes a LONG way. I also let mine tack up a bit before puting it on.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:20 AM
mill500
Veteran

If you do it, double check your manual on fluid type. The 04 calls for ATF+4. All I can find in parts stores around me is +3. I asked the Dodge parts guy the difference (without the obvious answer of "1"). He says the +4 is designed to absorb more heat that the newer trannies are generating than the +3 was & that the +3 can burn & fail in those apps. Double check the stuff at AutoZone,etc to verify what it is specifically. Some of it says "For Dodge/Chrysler" and it's still +3.

Problem is, the only place I've been able to find the +4 is the dealer. I don't know how much difference it makes, but I went ahead and used the +4 for my transfer case change (haven't done the tranny yet). I'd just hate to be SOL if something went wrong with the wrong fluid in it.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:13 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if it meets the requirements or not, but you might check out B&M Trickshift.
It has to my knowledge been one of the premier tranny fluids out there. I ran it in my 93 5.2L Dakota with great success, but I don't know for sure on the new trucks, and I don't have an automatic in my new truck--it will be getting NEO shortly, along with the differentials and transfer case

I just looked up trick shift on the B&M site and it doesn't appear that it meets the +4 requirement

Old 10-19-2005, 06:14 AM
muddauber5.7
Professional

Thanks for all the input!! I was told that the trannie's in the 3rd gen. rams don't have bands to adjust due to it being electrical? That adjusting bands was a thing of the past. Is that true? I guess I should ask the dealer. By the way my truck is a 2003 with 30,000 miles and was planning on doing it soon. I just don't trust the dealer to do it right, or anyone else for that matter, But I will make sure to get the mopar atf4 at the dealer, cause I have also noticed that auto stores don't carry it.

Quick Reply: changing tranny fluid and filter