3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

6.1 Heads and Intake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 01:42 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6.1 Heads and Intake conversion

Hey Guys,

I've done a lot of research, and have come up with contradicting answers. Can't remember where, but I stumbled across an article that put this idea in my head. I've wanted a 6.4L truck since they first announced the 6.4L for the Challenger...but reading said article, I can end up with about the same HP and torque output with the 6.1 heads and intake, which would be cheaper than a new truck.

Research that I have found states this is a nice conversion on the cars, but makes a stronger mid-high powerband, which isn't very useful on a truck, but then I've found forums with guys doing it on trucks, but not stating much about final results. I've also found other info that the newer 5.7 heads may be a better option, atleast in cost vs gain aspect.

I'm finally finding the money a little at a time to make my truck how I really want it (after 8 years) so despite wanting a new truck, I think I would be best to continue improving what I have. Either route I take, the improvements already made will not be a waste, cuz I'm not talking about trading in or selling, I recently bought property up north and plan to eventually keep this truck up there as a plow truck, and to haul boat to the lake or sleds to the trail head, etc. So I just need opinions from you guys, whom I've gotten to trust and respect the information you provide...instead of reading what other guys have done that I have no clue if they know what they are doing or not.

Can I reasonably mod my truck to perform similar to the new 6.4 trucks? If so, is the way mentioned a good route to go, or are there better options for the cost/gain. I'm not looking to build a race truck, I'm mostly looking at improving the towing capability and just a bit torqueier feel off the line. I'm already looking at 4.56 gears and Superchips tuner in the very near future and I've done CAI and exhaust, so I am looking for mods more internal/in-depth beyond those to improve my needs.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance,
Eric

Old 05-19-2014, 11:15 AM
HemiRam1566
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same intrest, i got a 07 hemi rcsb 4x4 and i have a superchips cai and exhaust, also looking for more tourqe off the line and hauling trailers. i will
follow this build

connor

Old 05-19-2014, 01:24 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The new 6.4 trucks are only 2500 & bigger, so you're ahead in the weight department. 4.56 gears are a great idea as long as you don't do a whole lot of highway driving (they definitely help get things moving, as does a higher stall torque converter). With 6.1 heads on your stock block, you will need to get the chambers opened up or use some thicker head gaskets to keep the compression ratio at a good street level (same thing with eagle heads). Both types of heads have different shaped intake and exhaust ports than your stock heads, so you will have to find headers unless you're going to use stock exhaust manifolds; on the intake side you either have the car eagle or 6.1, both of which have front mounted throttle bodies. This will require you to convert to an electric fan up front (if you haven't already) and doing a conversion to the front accessory drive, in addition to extending the harness to the TB. Better (easier) bet would be to get big valve ported versions of your stock heads (maybe some different pistons or some chamber work or thinner gasket to raise the compression some), then install a cam to match with custom tuning. Then let the fun begin. You could also stroke out your 5.7 to get the 392 you want; you can tell people it's still a 5.7! All of this is dependant on how much work you want to do + how big your wallet is.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:11 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Is stroking it as easy as dropping in a new crank, or is there other things that need to be done. I prolly wouldn't do it to my motor, but may get a donor and stroke the motor and swap it into my truck. Judging from what you said, porting my intake and heads or donor heads that are the same as mine is my best bet to not have to relocate a bunch.of stuff, and I will essientially have very similar results...is this correct?

Old 05-19-2014, 04:06 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Stroking it may require block machining (not sure myself on these new hemis). You could probably get a 392 short block preassembled for the price of the kit and block. Not sure if you can port the truck intake manifold, as it is plastic. Porting the heads is always a help; bigger valves even better. There are many sites available (Inertia, Sharadon, HHP to name a few) that can supply what you need in addition to sound, experienced tech advice from companies who do this for a living.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:05 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran

Thank you for naming the companies, this should give me lots to google. If there is a simple stroker kit, I may consider it...but for now, I think I will just look for some bigger valve/ported heads like you mentioned, and probably a TB from Fastman, unless you know of other sources I can check out for a bigger TB. How about sources for a cam, any known reputable sources out there?

Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cams would definitely be on my radar if I was going this route... I'd keep the stock block and heads and simply build up from there...

Might want to check this site out:

http://www.shophemi.com/c-1246-hemi-crate-engines.aspx

Old 05-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you really want to pick up some stupid power then do what these guys did...

http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/1113t...d/viewall.html

Old 05-20-2014, 11:06 AM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by Izero
If you really want to pick up some stupid power then do what these guys did...

http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/1113t...d/viewall.html
WOW.....I'd have loved to have seen the dyno video of that The turbo Hemi stroker producing 1,015 hp and 867 lb-ft of torque.
Al.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:32 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Save the throttle body until you have cam and heads done first. The stock TB is capable of plenty for what you will need until you get to that point. As the head flow and cam specs go up, the stock intake manifold will be the choke point. I was told by one of these companies that the truck intake manifold was good for close to 500RWHP.

Quick Reply: 6.1 Heads and Intake conversion