3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:12 AM
admjr33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain tensioner

I have a 2002 1500 4.7 just redone heads chains oil pump lifters computer and all sensors. Long story lol. My problem is I have a chain slapping around The tensioner doesn't seem to be getting enough oil to pump it up. I tied a new tensioner and same thing. I removed the metering plate behind tensioner and engine ran fine no clanking noises. Can I leave this plate off? It's only the right side that's doing this the left side is fine

Old 05-30-2014, 09:27 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

How are the plastic slides on the guides? They could be worn and not allowing the tensioner to hold enough tension on the chain.
I wouldn't run the engine with anything removed.

Also, be sure you are holding the tensioners collapsed with a pin inserted when installing them.

Be sure they is no buildup of sludge in the oil galleys.

Last edited by dirtydog; 05-30-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:31 AM
admjr33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
How are the plastic slides on the guides? Sounds like they could be worn and not allowing the tensioner to hold enough tension on the chain.
I run the engine with anything removed.

Also, be sure you are holding the tensioners collapsed with a pin inserted when installing them.
All parts are brand new guides are new with a couple hundred miles on motor. We used the pin to collapse when installing

Old 05-30-2014, 06:49 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

What about the galleys in the block. That is what I was referring to. The ports that provide the flow. Maybe there is a clog in there and pressure isn't sufficient enough.

Quick Reply: Timing chain tensioner