3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering and suspension creeks

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:50 PM
eng18ine
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering and suspension creeks

Hey guys. What's goin on?

So today I was driving around and had the radio off(to listen to the flowmaster sing). And I kept getting interrupted by my front driver side creeping away with every turn and bump I hit.

So I parked it, turned the wheel both ways and it creeped both directions as well as when I jumped on the door sill to get the suspension to do its thing.

The truck is an 04 1500. Quad cab 4x4. It has the Doofy torsion bar suspension if that helps.

And the torsion keys have been cranked up two inches.

I suspect bad ball joints, especially since the rubber boots have cracked and holes in them.

Can anyone confirm this and maybe suggest any other parts I should replace while the front end is apart. The trucks only got 75k miles on her.

Thank you!

Old 06-05-2014, 01:23 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If the boots are cracked then it is likely they need replacing. Things to replace on the front end

Upper control arms w/ball joints
lower ball joints
shocks
sway bar links
outer tie rods
stabilizer bar bushings
wheel hub assemblies

While you are at it, change brake pads, rebuild calipers, flush and bleed calipers, change or have turned the rotors, create the floating/slide pins in the calipers.

Check over engine for leaks

Old 06-05-2014, 08:08 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Weed covered it. I had this too, changed everything on that list except the wheel hub assemblies, good to go now. Also did all four shocks as mine were shot.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:50 AM
readyakira
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was the lower pall joint. What pita.... Fist time in 200k miles the front was apart. My dual hammer air hammer had a had time freeing the front axle from the hub. (of course I off road with the truck on a reg basis) I also did the stabilizer links (no sway bar now for off road reasons) and uppers. I will be doing the hubs soon as I am starting to get a squeaky one on the pass side when turning left. But I enjoy working on my truck as usually it's a customers vehicle I am working on.

Quick Reply: Steering and suspension creeks