3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Decals and Logos Off!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014 | 12:03 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Apparently I do too because I did mine the hard way..lol

Actually, I did mine the hard way because the eraser wheel was MIA back when we all did it and I forget who had lost it in their garage? I think it may have been Silver. Anyways, I didnt want to wait around.

Old 06-07-2014 | 10:41 PM
riffle.riley
|
Amateur

I wasn't going to buy one just to take 4 decals I decided to leave the one's on my tailgate now I just have to figure out the easiest way to take my pinstripes off.

Old 06-08-2014 | 09:42 PM
Will_V2Lab
Professional

I thought about removing mine except for the Hemi badge but at the same time I like them. I'm torn between the two lol.

Old 06-08-2014 | 10:05 PM
riffle.riley
|
Amateur

I was just going to take my ram 1500 ones off my doors but I went ahead and took hemi badge off because i'm about to put fender flares on mine and i didn't know if it would mess with the flares being flush up against the truck

Old 06-08-2014 | 11:23 PM
Will_V2Lab
Professional

Hmm... I do like the late model 3rd gen Hemi badges more than the earlier models came with. Muhah..

Old 06-09-2014 | 08:32 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by riffle.riley
I wasn't going to buy one just to take 4 decals I decided to leave the one's on my tailgate now I just have to figure out the easiest way to take my pinstripes off.
a heat gun on low, and use your fingers just don't get the stripe to hot or it will just pull expand and break..... a blow dryer might give off enough heat........ the eraser pad will work to, but it takes a bit of time........ i was thinking of doing the same thing with my 05, it's gray on silver, slt package.... but i happen to like the badges on the 3rd gen...... but i have to remove them to paint this thing anyways..... got some small bubbles starting above the rear wheels..... i got rear panels i bought for my 03 dakota, i'm gonna see if i can make them work, seems how i traded that in for my 2500. some small dings here and there, truck is in really nice shape for an 05 so i'm gonna fix all i can now, and undercoat the $#it out of this thing......... i'm the 2nd owner and it only has 47,000 miles.

Old 06-09-2014 | 08:36 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by ewing111
good idea, do it! I feel a black out coming in your future...lol.
speaking of blacking out, did yours come with the painted grill and bumpers?? i like the chrome, but i'd rather have the grill, bumpers painted to match the truck....... i would like to black this thing out, i think with the gray on silver 2 tone would look good blacked out....... i got headlights on their way...... and i have already been looking at center caps, and different lug nuts to do away with the oem hub caps.

Old 06-09-2014 | 10:07 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

An eraser wheel takes very little time. It is made specifically for this type of work. I use one quite a bit for pin stripe removal and decal removal on motorcycle fairings before stripping them for paint.

Old 06-10-2014 | 07:51 AM
ewing111
Captain

I actually plastidipped them quite a while back. The bumpers still look great, the grille started getting some chips, so I decided to paint it with duplicolor metalcast, which is what is in my sig pic. That started chipping off after this past winter, so I went and got a $100 black big mouth grille off of ebay. I am toying with the idea of making a custom grille out of my old one right now, just see when I have the time to mess with it.

If you are considering blacking out, I would recommend plastidip, especially if you're on a budget. It's cheap, looks good, and can be removed fairly easily if you want to do something else. They've also got some new products out, metalizer and glossifier, which are pretty neat. I used them to re-do my wheels, it came out pretty cool. One of these days I'm going to get up a thread with all my recent mods and you can see.

Old 06-10-2014 | 06:14 PM
rebeltaz83
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
An eraser wheel takes very little time. It is made specifically for this type of work. I use one quite a bit for pin stripe removal and decal removal on motorcycle fairings before stripping them for paint.
yeah, it does, but it's along ways around a truck with an eraser wheel, lol....... i find the heat gun trick works just as fast, if not faster if done right. i took stripes off a car in about 5 mins. with a heat gun.... once you get it started it just goes, lol...... unless i'm i'm mixing the eraser wheel with double sided tape.......... i know that takes forever.

Quick Reply: Decals and Logos Off!!!!