3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loud noise from rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 05:55 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

A little oil is nothing to worry about. Remember, oil spreads a lot so a couple drops is not as bad as how it makes it look. Keep digging into it. Check the actual pad thickness and rotors for grooves

Old 06-06-2014, 06:40 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by abarmby
I thought you just needed to pop out the center pin in the diff, then remove the C clips to pull the axles Weed.
I'm sure that's the case.
And BTW....your probably right, in that it's his brakes.
Al.
You also have to take the entire caliper and mount off to be able to get the rotor and slide out the axles...

Originally Posted by weedahoe
A little oil is nothing to worry about. Remember, oil spreads a lot so a couple drops is not as bad as how it makes it look. Keep digging into it. Check the actual pad thickness and rotors for grooves
Well, either the seal is leaking on it's own...r the bearings are worn and letting the axle wander slightly to cause the seal to leak. This is exactly what happened to my Rack'n'Pinion. My tierod was worn out and wobbling causing my rack to leak out the seal into my boot. Now, I need to change that seal because it's a little worn from the POS tierod that dodge uses.
Also, in NY, you will fail inspection if any oil is leaking from your rear seals as they can coat the emergency brakes and make them not work as intended.
Southern states are much more relax about inspections apparently.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:51 PM
07hemi1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the E-brakes. Mine fell apart made a good racket. Just a thought.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:59 AM
BAMF224
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after digging into it the top spring for my parking brakes appeared stretched and had come off allowing my shoes to grind against the drum. New spring problem fixed for now until I get around to changing the seal

Quick Reply: loud noise from rear