3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Ram 1500 5.7L 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:55 AM
netmad80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Ram 1500 5.7L 2WD

Good morning, I am looking for some help on a problem that is baffling me and my mechanic. I was driving around 2 sundays ago when my truck started shaking really bad and running rough. It would smooth out when I let off the fuel pedal. A few moments later it stalled. I could only get it running if I feathered the fuel pedal and it would only stay running if I did the same thing - I had to two foot it home. I hooked it up to my basic code reader and I got p0300 Multiple misfire codes. I just had a full tune up done within the last 7 months or so with new plugs and wires. Well not knowing where to start, I took it to the same mechanic who did my tune up and previously replaced the drivers side CAT.

Well the computer keeps throwing random codes that always lead to another code.. So far the mechanic has removed my passenger side CAT as it was glowing Red. Replaced my pugs again because they were trashed and put in a new crank position sensor. I stopped by yesterday and they pulled out the crank position sensor and it had scratches on it with only 5 mins of run time. He said that the timing does not appear to be off based on his computer readings. I think we are both at a loss as to what could be wrong here. My next "guess" would be if there is enough movement in the crank to scratch the position sensor that maybe my harmonic balancer went bad?? I've had a harmonic balancer go bad in a older dodge ram and it did not prevent the truck from starting or cause a misfire.... Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:48 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Pull the valve covers and check for broken valve springs.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:34 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Pull the valve covers and check for broken valve springs.
And don't run it anymore (although that applies more to the '03s). Mine got all new springs last winter.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:05 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Correct. It is more seen in the 03s but there have been a select few members with 04s that have had the same issue.

running rough/wont idle
having to hold the fuel pedal to keep it running

both are symptoms of a broken valve spring

Old 06-13-2014, 08:40 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with a possible valve spring problem....

Quick Reply: 2004 Ram 1500 5.7L 2WD