3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need immediate help with rear end

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 11:26 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Called every salvage and junk yard within about two hours drive. No one had any parts for or a rear end for my truck. That and I also do not have the tools to do this properly. I was lucky to be able to get it out with what I had. I don't have impact, torque wrench, side bearing adjusters, etc. In addition, they will warranty the parts and labor.

I really wish that this was something I had the time and the tools to do myself. I prefer to do everything myself when I can. This will be the first time in 170k miles plus this truck will have seen the inside of a shop other than a tire shop, and it has me anxious. Although I did pull apart the rear end, spoke with the mechanic, and he knows that I know.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:22 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You could have ordered the shaft and yoke online. Why think so local? Think bigger than that. Hell, I know I could have had a complete rear end sent to you if that's what you wanted.

Impact? Less than 100

Bearing adjusters? I got 2 here you can have or you can make your own Shop press to install and remove bearings is $100 or you could take it to most auto parts stores or machine shop and they will do it for a few bucks.

Time? A weekend at most if you know what you are doing.

My point originally was that they are bending you over and making you hold your ankles. Those prices are ridiculous.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:55 AM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

I understand all that. If I could help it I would fix it myself, believe me. Fact is the shop can work on it when I can't, and I'm having to hitch a ride to work until it's fixed. The prices are ridiculous, but I work 12 hrs a day plus travel time and lunch. Basically I'm paying for the convenience of having them fix it without me having to worry about buying the tools, parts, and finding the time to get it done.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:39 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Trust me, I understand that. My truck down down for quite a while because I was doing it in my spare time. Got it back on the road on the Thursday and the wife's trans in her car went out on that Saturday or Sunday.

Have you tried to argue the shop labor rate with them?

Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Sorry I haven't replied before now. I got my truck back last Friday. Total labor costs was only $325. I've got the breakdown of the costs on a receipt for all the parts and labor. All in all, I think it was a pretty fair price for the work that they did. The truck is running well, I haven't had any more issues. I'm about 150 miles in so far. They did provide a 6 month unlimited mile warranty, and break in instructions.

They recommend not changing the oil until 50,000 miles, and said I didn't have to change the oil after the break in procedure. I've heard some conflicting stories on whether or not to change the oil after the break in. What are your opinions?

Old 06-24-2014, 11:43 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a break-in procedure that included driving slow for the first 10-15 miles then cool down. Followed by more short trip although highway was allowed then. I think it was 500 miles when I change my oil.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:31 PM
JoshuaAckley
Professional

Basically same break in procedure provided by the shop, however they did the initial 15-20 mile break in, followed by the cool down. I've done about 300 miles since then. Was just curious, because the shop said it wouldn't be necessary to change the oil after break in until 50,000 miles, or leak, submerged in water, etc.

Quick Reply: Need immediate help with rear end