3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trani Help, Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014 | 06:08 PM
CopenghagenHemi22
|
Banned
Default Trani Help, Questions.

Hey guys, not big on experience with transmissions but we all know dodges are notorious with them...

My 02 1500 has 120K miles and here is what is going on...

I just bought the truck about a month ago and have NOT changed the fluid for starters.

But when shifting from park into reverse or drive I hear a slight clunking sound, nothing major but out of the ordinary to me compared trucks i use at work as well as friends trucks I drive.

Also, when driving down the road yet it does shift smoothly, I feel as if sometimes it should shift sooner that it should with regular driving. From 1st-2nd it occasionally will shift around 3500 RPM. It does shift smoothly and my foot is not mashed against the floor.

Obviously I should flush the trani fluid, but are these symptoms of something major? Or just small signs of bad fluid?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 07-21-2014 | 08:21 PM
Arctodus
Captain

Did the guy you bought it from have a programmer programmed into it, that could change the tranny shift schedules? Also if he is the original owner, has he ever had the tranny serviced ( fluids changed and filter changed )?

Old 07-22-2014 | 09:29 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned

He's got a 360, can't change shift schedule with a programmer on a 46RE. If I'm not mistaken, there are still periodic adjustments (bands) that still need to be done to those tranmissions. Do you know if this was ever done?

Old 07-22-2014 | 10:55 AM
CopenghagenHemi22
|
Banned

The truck wasn't programmed I do know that. The transmission was serviced buy one of the dealerships in his town. (Which I Know they are reputable.) The servicing was done about 2 years ago, they flushed it changed the filter and did some other stuff to i can't remember off the top of my head.

Quick Reply: Trani Help, Questions.