3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel spacers... yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Will_V2Lab
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel spacers... yay or nay?

When I got my new wheels they came with 1/4" spacers. I tossed them on and figured why not. Lately I've noticed a slight pulse/vibration in my gas pedal and floorboard from 15+mph. The spacers don't fit well on the lugs and it shifts around before the wheel is put on. All my lugs are torqued to spec but i'm wondering if since the spacer isn't centered that its actually causing a bounce when at speed?

Anybody recommend anything else to check? Saturday i'm going to remove the spacers and see how it does. Mainly curious if anyone else runs small spacers?

Old 09-05-2014, 03:02 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Will_V2Lab
When I got my new wheels they came with 1/4" spacers. I tossed them on and figured why not. Lately I've noticed a slight pulse/vibration in my gas pedal and floorboard from 15+mph. The spacers don't fit well on the lugs and it shifts around before the wheel is put on. All my lugs are torqued to spec but i'm wondering if since the spacer isn't centered that its actually causing a bounce when at speed?

Anybody recommend anything else to check? Saturday i'm going to remove the spacers and see how it does. Mainly curious if anyone else runs small spacers?
Junk them. If you're going to run a spacer (dont) make sure it's hubcentric. you know when you put your wheel on and that large middle hole sits nicely on top of that proud part of the hub? That's hubcentric. Running a spacer that's not hubcentric can lead to balance issues as you've essentially installed a giant unbalanced weight onto the rotating mass of the driveline.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:55 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most of those spacers that come with wheels aren't hubcentric which Prismatic already explained... the "universal" POS spacers are all kinds of screwed up.

Take the spacers off and mount the wheels without them, or go out and get high quality spacers that are 100% hubcentric and you'll be much happier.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:39 AM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What they said. IMO I would not run them at all.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers... yay or nay?