3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

08 Ram 1500 , changed ball joints,bearing assy,tie rod ends, and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 01:20 PM
nuramficiando
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 08 Ram 1500 , changed ball joints,bearing assy,tie rod ends, and shocks

Spent the weekend replacing all these parts. For the most part it was straightforward and easy. No pictures, sorry.
The ball joints were a slightly different story. The lower ball joint, as I previously read on this site, had to have the bead/lip ground off the top. Then it was an easy matter of knocking it out with a 16 oz. ball peen.

The top wasn't quite as bad. The issue was that the kit ( sorry,didn't note the part#) I rented from Advance did not have (#1) a collar deep enough for the joint to drop into without jamming on the joint stem OR that had a hole for the stem to go through Also (#2) there wasn't a collar the correct size to push the new joint in.
I remedied #1 by using a cutting disk to remove the stem on the old balljoint. #2 I rented the adapter kit for a Ford Taurus from Oreilly.

The Advance kit also didn't have quite the correct size for pushing the new lower joint in. It was just small enough to almost do the job, but slipped sideways once, canting the ball joint and putting 2 very sharp burrs on the joint lip. I had to remove it, break off the burrs and file the face of the lip flat before completing the install.

The only other oddity I noted was that there was no connection on the passenger side for the ABS sensor connector for the hub bearing assy to
plug into. Didn't want to remove it for concern of allowing moisture and contaminants into the bearing, so it's installed as if it did, but not connected to anything.
The only other thing of note is the rhythmic womp-womp still coming from the right front as if the bearing is still bad. Guess it has worn the tire unevenly enough to still cause the noise. (20's on alloy rims)
But I'm riding again without worry of a wheel laying down.

Quick Reply: 08 Ram 1500 , changed ball joints,bearing assy,tie rod ends, and shocks