3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 ram 1500 3.7 coolant leaking from overflow

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:10 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmokinJoe02
If you replace the fan clutch, get a mopar one or you'll sound like an airplane taking off.

SJ03

that is not entirely true.

when I bought my 04 Ram New.. it sounded like an airplane... and I took it back to 2 different dealers.... they would NOT replace it...

and to this day.. in cool weather..it still sounds like an airplane....

Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 AM
Deerhunter90
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced it with a duralast brand and it doesn't sound like an airplane,

Old 10-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Mlj1111

A roaring fan clutch is a failed fan clutch. I don't care what anyone says.

Mine was replaced 2 months ago just as a precaution as I was replacing water pump anyhow. A month after that it started roaring, I left it alone just because I was lazy and wasn't overheating. Two weeks ago.. Dairy Queen drive through.. Overheat, Head Gasket blown.

Parts store confirmed it was bad via manufacturer. They gave me a head gasket kit, head bolts, thermostat, new fan clutch ect ect
To bad they wont pay for the labor, but I was surprised they stepped up to the plate with a few hundred dollars worth of parts anyways.

Long story short..
A Roaring fan clutch should not be ignored.

I also only mentioned it as OP asked in original post if he may have missed something as far as replacing the cooling system.. He also did not say when it was overflowing ( driving or at a stand still ) .
I just feel bad that you have the 3.7 in a full sized Ram to begin with.

I think you'll know for sure after you run the combustion check anyways.

Mike

Old 10-24-2014, 07:25 PM
Deerhunter90
Professional

My little 3.7 does what I need it to do. It may not be the most efficient thing on the planet but it gets me from point a-z and tows my 6500lbs tractor ok. But my next one will either be the Eco diesel or a hemi. The coolant burps out of the overflow after I shut the truck down after it's warmed up to operating temp

Old 10-25-2014, 04:36 PM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I failed to mention .. on mine.. the airplane noise is only for the first 5 minutes... after a cold startup...

10 years... still doing it... and 2 dealers said it was normal... when new.
and I still get 25 mpg on the highways...

Old 10-25-2014, 05:27 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Deerhunter90
My little 3.7 does what I need it to do. It may not be the most efficient thing on the planet but it gets me from point a-z and tows my 6500lbs tractor ok. But my next one will either be the Eco diesel or a hemi. The coolant burps out of the overflow after I shut the truck down after it's warmed up to operating temp
Ecoboost is a good powerful package but those direct injection engines are starting to generate a lot of complaints about carbon build up on the intake valves since you no longer have fuel washing the valve.

AFAIK Ford has no procedure yet to clean them and recommends cylinder head replacement.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Deerhunter90
Professional

Originally Posted by Prismatic
Ecoboost is a good powerful package but those direct injection engines are starting to generate a lot of complaints about carbon build up on the intake valves since you no longer have fuel washing the valve.

AFAIK Ford has no procedure yet to clean them and recommends cylinder head replacement.
I meant the dodge 3.0 Ecodiesel, I've had to many bad experiences with ford to buy another.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I meant the dodge 3.0 Ecodiesel, I've had to many bad experiences with ford to buy another.
My apologies, I somehow misread that as Ecoboost. I'd love an ecodiesel myself, but damn dodge gets pricey quick if you want options like power anything.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Deerhunter90
Professional

Well I started my truck up today to run an errand and got a misfire code on cylinder 6, pulled the Cyl 6 spark plug and it's soaked in antifreeze looks like I've got a leaking head gasket . At 392,512 miles it looks like it's just time to throw a new spark plug in her and trade it in...

Old 10-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Mlj1111

Well I started my truck up today to run an errand and got a misfire code on cylinder 6, pulled the Cyl 6 spark plug and it's soaked in antifreeze looks like I've got a leaking head gasket . At 392,512 miles it looks like it's just time to throw a new spark plug in her and trade it in...

Why bother? Can probably get a motor with less miles installed for less then the cost of another vehicle.

Or replace the head gaskets yourself. Realizing it has high miles, I would go with option one. ( heads may be warped or whatever. )

Cost of a good used motor 800 to 1500, cost to have installed 600 minimum around here by a reputable mechanic.

I do not think I could buy a vehicle without issues for that low a price.
(unless its some guy selling to support his drug habit if I were lucky )

Mines in shop as we speak $1500 total installed for complete motor out of a rollover with 86000 miles.

Mike

Edit~ I can see that its a 2 door and that would be reason to me anyways to grab a quad cab personally anyways. You would make more parting it out over a trade in at this point anyways if you do not fix it. Looks pretty clean really.

Last edited by Mlj1111; 10-28-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Quick Reply: 2003 ram 1500 3.7 coolant leaking from overflow