3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2003 ram 1500 3.7 coolant leaking from overflow

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 AM
Deerhunter90
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlj1111
Why bother? Can probably get a motor with less miles installed for less then the cost of another vehicle.

Or replace the head gaskets yourself. Realizing it has high miles, I would go with option one. ( heads may be warped or whatever. )

Cost of a good used motor 800 to 1500, cost to have installed 600 minimum around here by a reputable mechanic.

I do not think I could buy a vehicle without issues for that low a price.
(unless its some guy selling to support his drug habit if I were lucky )

Mines in shop as we speak $1500 total installed for complete motor out of a rollover with 86000 miles.

Mike

Edit~ I can see that its a 2 door and that would be reason to me anyways to grab a quad cab personally anyways. You would make more parting it out over a trade in at this point anyways if you do not fix it. Looks pretty clean really.
Getting a quad cab is the only reason I won't fix it, it's an exceptionally clean truck but with our next little one due in a few months we need more room. My local dealer offered me $3000 trade in on it last time I was up there and that sounds pretty fair to me. I'll make a decision and update, I'm not in a hurry since I've got a 97 ram with 53,000 miles on it I can use for work .

Old 11-11-2014, 11:35 PM
Blueball
Rookie

Definately head gasket. Exactly the same thing happened to me. Overheated it once and blamo .. leaked from overflow ever since. Confirmed hydrocarbons in coolant. Zip tied a plastic bottle to the overflow and that got me by for a while ... had my engine rebuilt at accurate engines in Michigan. Cost me $3k for a long block installed.

I now drive an Ecodiesel. Entirely different beast. Sips fuel .. lots of turbo lag.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:10 AM
Deerhunter90
Professional

The truck has never been close to over heating though, that's why it's hard for me to believe it's a head gasket.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Another idea is air entering the cooling system from somewhere. While recently doing my exhaust manifold bolts I saw on the passenger side a heater line that has a factory coupler installed. This showed very obvious signs of coolant seepage. I replaced the factory spring clamps with screw clamps. That, combined with my new, factory 17lbs radiator cap, has entirely fixed my overflow issue.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:32 PM
Mlj1111

Originally Posted by Prismatic
Another idea is air entering the cooling system from somewhere. While recently doing my exhaust manifold bolts I saw on the passenger side a heater line that has a factory coupler installed. This showed very obvious signs of coolant seepage. I replaced the factory spring clamps with screw clamps. That, combined with my new, factory 17lbs radiator cap, has entirely fixed my overflow issue.

He already stated that number 6 plug was soaked in antifreeze.
Good idea, but sadly not the case.

Mike

Old 11-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlj1111
He already stated that number 6 plug was soaked in antifreeze.
Good idea, but sadly not the case.

Mike
oh. Well better luck next time!

Quick Reply: 2003 ram 1500 3.7 coolant leaking from overflow