3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changed it all… won't idle. Shuts off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 12:41 PM
rsens01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mopar parts didnt do anything either. Pissin money away.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:46 PM
rsens01

So if I would want to test the other sensors before just going out and buying them… how would I test them to see if they are no good?

I have a feeling that if it were a sensor issue I would be getting a CEL. But I wasn't sure if I may not be getting a CEL because I haven't driven it anywhere?

Is the valve spring issue only common in Hemi's?

Old 11-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Broken Valve Springs can happen to any push-rod engine... nature of the beast... Upside is they aren't hard to fix.

Have you checked everything else I listed?

If you have an OBD-II scanner that can datalog it might be helpful to put up the datalog so we can look if anything looks funny.

Since you don't have a check engine light, I'm kinda inclined to believe this might be a mechanical problem, but it's difficult to diagnose over the internet... so bare with us.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:46 PM
rsens01

Would a compression test show a bad valve or spring?

I changed the crankshaft position and the map sensors.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Izero
Champion

A Leak down test would definitely show it, that is IF the valve is leaking.

A Compression test will show funny stuff if and only if you are rotating the rotating assembly by hand and know where each TDC and Compression Stroke is.... Otherwise the compression test won't show anything except the maximum compression. So if the valve is staying shut due to a broken push-rod or something then it would just show full compression....

I think it might be time you brought it to the dealer to let them hook-up the star-scan tool and see if there are temporary codes present and/or anything really funky going on.

They will prolly want to pull the valve covers and check the springs and pushrods too....

Old 11-03-2014, 05:02 PM
rsens01

Yeah I called and talked to the dealer near me, told me to drive it around to try to draw a code or learn the IAC. Other than that it needs an appointment.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Izero
Champion

Originally Posted by rsens01
Yeah I called and talked to the dealer near me, told me to drive it around to try to draw a code or learn the IAC. Other than that it needs an appointment.
It definitely might need to "re-learn" the sensors you've replaced.... but i'm more inclined to think its something else going on, and I think the Star-Scan tool might provide the answer as long as they can replicate the problem.

Hell... a re-flash to the PCM might be all you need....

Quick Reply: Changed it all… won't idle. Shuts off.