3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 RAM HOLD/UNAVAILABLE

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 11:30 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 2006 RAM HOLD/UNAVAILABLE

There are hundreds of Rams, along with Wranglers, Cherokees, and a few other DC products, sitting in parking lots around Toledo, OH. They build them and store them in old mall parking lots and big box stores that have closed. Security gurads sitting and watching them, how do I get that job!! I would bet one of them would have to come close, if not what you want. Just sitting in the lot waiting..... I will snap some pictures and post them in the next couple days.

Old 10-25-2005, 12:24 AM
HemiBuell
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You calculation on the inertia of the different wheels is really stretching it. No matter what you will be pushing a heavy box (your truck) through the air.

Why don't you get an '05? Real cheap, better warranty, and they look much nicer.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:13 AM
lucifuhrman

Ok, this probably isn't the best forum for this, but I'm just too much of a sucker for science related questions.

The 20's would have more inertia - true. But once they got rolling from a stop doesn't it become a moot point? The inertia is just a problem getting started or stopping.

Assuming the footprint of the tire is the same (same width), then there should't be a difference in friction.

I would imagine that there would be a net fuel economy benefit from the larger diameter tires because you would be running the engine at a lower RPM at any given speed, versus the smaller diameter tires. I would think this would more than offset any looses due to added weight.

For all I know the difference in mpg may be insignificant - I just find the question interesting.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:08 PM
NaviDave

I went from 20's to 17's (aggressive tread).

We drive mostly city miles - went drom 9.4-9.8 to 11.0 in the last 600 miles.

Highway is very similar - perhaps .5 less dur to th erolling resistance.

My 0-60 went from 11.2s to ~10s - big difference.

Will probably keep the 20's for summer/highway use. Can only get $500USD for the rims...

Dave

Old 10-25-2005, 05:36 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

gas mileage has too many differences between drivers and location to narrow it down to a simple thing like 17" vs. 20" tires... I just went from where I live in Arlington, Tx to my grandparents house in Georgetown, Tx and back (344.5 miles round trip) with the only stop being at their house, then after 5 hours turned around and came right back and filled back up at the same gas station, using the same gas pump that I used for the fill-up going down and I used 18.538 gals, giving me 18.6 mpg. I have 20's, 31,000 miles on the ODO, I use Castrol semi-synth oil and I drove between 70-75 mph the whole way down and then back. No a/c on and mine is a shortbed with no bed cover, with the tailgate up. This is the typical mileage that I get everyday, regardless of condition unless I am stuck in traffic. I have meet few HEMI owners that get this good of mileage and I relate it to the fact that most have slightly heavier feet than I do and therefore suck more gas, even those that have 17" tires...

Get one with 20's, they look better, your truck will have better resale value and the tires are $200 each installed/balanced with road hazard... this is hardly a difference from the 17" tires cost to matter.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Avanti
Captain

Just for your info... a dealer can contact Dodge directly and get a listing of stock all over the country. It is amazing what odd-ball builds are out there, IF someone is willing to go to the trouble to do the research. Ask how I know!!!

We wanted a really strangely optioned truck to fit our unique requirements and there was a hold on our color as the '05 model year ended. To everyone's surprise (including the dealer whose lot it was found on--I'm sure he thought he'd die looking at it) an identical truck was found a several states away. My dealer took a 3500 Cummins and a trailer and picked it up over a weekend--one of my stipulations was that it NOT be driven hundreds of miles when "picked-up."

Dealers can often do much more than they typically do to help the customer. As my dad used to say, if I had people willing to give me fistsful of dollars, I'd find an easy and pleasant way for them to do so! Not most car dealers!

All the best.

Quick Reply: 2006 RAM HOLD/UNAVAILABLE