3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Airhorn wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 09:57 AM
RonRacer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Airhorn wiring help

OK so I've built some air horns for my 06 Ram and have been trying wire them up to my existing horn button. Ive already have a compressor in the bed wired for other stuff so i dont need power for it. just wanted to wire a solenoid and switch between the horn button(dk gr/pr(-)) and the horns. but every time i try and ground the solenoid the stock horn goes off and the solenoid does nothing... I also tried running a wire from the 12v (+) to the switch and the horn wire as ground. Got nothing from the solenoid. but i tested the solenoid straight to the battery so it works. What am I doing wrong here? how should this be wired and grounded?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:15 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Did it not come with instructions?

Old 01-01-2015, 11:15 AM
RonRacer
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Did it not come with instructions?
LOL! come on. I'm not that dense. this is homemade, no instructions.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:35 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron,

It kinda sounds like a switched ground is being used instead of a switched power. I don't have a schematic for a 2006 (canbus system). My 2005 shows that the horn button makes a relay in the pdc to power the horn, but it is not canbus. If you can get your hands on an FSM, the wiring schematics will give you direction. I think Weedahoe still has free downloads somewhere in his sig, might PM him.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:01 PM
RonRacer
Professional

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
Ron,

It kinda sounds like a switched ground is being used instead of a switched power. I don't have a schematic for a 2006 (canbus system). My 2005 shows that the horn button makes a relay in the pdc to power the horn, but it is not canbus. If you can get your hands on an FSM, the wiring schematics will give you direction. I think Weedahoe still has free downloads somewhere in his sig, might PM him.
Thanks ill PM him

Old 01-02-2015, 03:39 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

8W-41 in my Srv Man for my 04 shows the horn circuit.

From the battery fuse 45 (20A) into the horn relay coming out goes one wire for both high/low note on the horn and is a 12v wire. On mine it is a 18ga Dark Grey w/Orange stripe and the ground is two wires actually. Both are 18ga but one is Blk and Orange while the other is Blk and Dark Blue

I suggest before connecting anything to anything you take a volt meter and test the wires for voltage and ground accordingly. But remember, you are not going to have 12v in the wire until some presses the horn button.

So there is no way your solenoid is closing and releasing air into the horns UNLESS you already have power to one side of your solenoid and are connecting it to the ground side of the horns

Old 01-05-2015, 08:05 PM
RonRacer
Professional

Originally Posted by weedahoe
8W-41 in my Srv Man for my 04 shows the horn circuit.

From the battery fuse 45 (20A) into the horn relay coming out goes one wire for both high/low note on the horn and is a 12v wire. On mine it is a 18ga Dark Grey w/Orange stripe and the ground is two wires actually. Both are 18ga but one is Blk and Orange while the other is Blk and Dark Blue

I suggest before connecting anything to anything you take a volt meter and test the wires for voltage and ground accordingly. But remember, you are not going to have 12v in the wire until some presses the horn button.

So there is no way your solenoid is closing and releasing air into the horns UNLESS you already have power to one side of your solenoid and are connecting it to the ground side of the horns
THANKS!! Got it working. although now the light on the switch goes off when i push the horn??? weird. but whatevs

Old 01-08-2015, 03:39 PM
msnlla

Your truck looks like mine. It is a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 with an aftermarket motor. It is a 7.2l dieseline motor. It is stacked and is so louds. It dumps coal out of them and is cool. It does so much burn outs and no tirens left on my truck. It is also lowered 3.25inch. It is so pimpin.

Quick Reply: Airhorn wiring help