3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electrical nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 11:39 PM
My360
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical nightmare

I need help, I'm outta ideas.
My voltmeter is reading high, and the other night the lights started flickering and the idle would die down when I would come to a stop. I replaced the alternator today, assuming it was bad and overcharging. Still had the same problem, a lil while after went out to the truck and its dead. It started for a second, then died. Now there's a red blinking light on the dash and the interior lights blink when the doors open and wont even crank.
The problem started when I put another cluster in along with led lights in it. The new one was in mile so I swapped the leds back into the old one and since then the voltmeter ran high. Could cheap leds off ebay be the source of my problem or am I having another isssue all together?
Thanks for any help.

Oh yeah, check engine light isn't on. The night the lights started flickering, the check gauges light came on a bunch of times.

Last edited by My360; 01-14-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:56 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

possible BAD battery cable. check the Positive and Negative cables.. both ends.
the cable its self .. or and END. or clean the metal and body grounds.

Rust, dirt, grease, oil. stops electric flow

Old 01-15-2015, 09:25 AM
My360
Professional

I've done hours of searching and that's the best I could come up with as well. I'll disconnect all the grounds today and clean em, hopefully that works.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:43 AM
chuck_hammer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you said, the voltage went UP... reading High...

99 present of alternators/voltage regulators going bad.. go LOW... not high.

for the regulator to allow voltage to go over the SET .. usually means the ground reference has been lost...

OR

a poor connection has causes a resistance between the positive and/or the negative terminals of the battery.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:56 PM
My360
Professional

It seems to be back to running normal.
I put the american gauge in with the stock bulbs, disconnect the battery leads and cleaned them as well as the terminals, disconnect the grounds and sanded them all down as well as unplugged the fuse box and put dielectric grease in all the plugs. Multimeter said I was charging at about 15 volts, the needle still read high, took it off and re-positioned it. Idle is fine, lights not flickering and runs normal even with load. Guess I just had a lot of corrosion on everything.

Quick Reply: electrical nightmare