3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Recall For My '05 Ram 9.25" Pinion Nut

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015 | 02:07 PM
Daves69
|
Veteran
Default Recall For My '05 Ram 9.25" Pinion Nut

Don't know if it's posted yet. Got mine today. Say's............
"The rear axle pinion nut on your truck may have been built without an adhesive patch on the pinion nut threads. The lack of this adhesive patch could allow the rear axle pinion nut to loosen and/or the rear drive shaft to separate from the rear axle. A loose pinion nut could cause the rear axle to seize and a separated drive shaft could cause a loss of motive power. Either situation could cause a crash without warning."

A little different from what the link says...........

P77 / NHTSA 14V-796

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...h&summary=true

Last edited by Daves69; 02-13-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2015 | 01:39 PM
adeathman

I got mine in the mail the other day. Says no parts are available right now, and to wait for another notice when they become available.

Old 02-16-2015 | 09:40 PM
joshv75704

I had this happen to my 05 ram back Oct of 14. Had to completely replace the whole rear end out of pocket. Almost $4000. I actually filed a complaint with the NHTSA. After reading about this happening to other Ram owners. Haven't received anything in the mail yet. But my question is if they have issued a recall. Will I get get my money back? Any info would be great. Thank you.

Old 02-18-2015 | 11:04 AM
Daves69
|
Veteran

josh, I wouldn't hold my breath on a refund but you can give it a shot. I was able to get a replacement spare tire for my '02 Durango as a metallurgist friend verified the cable was faulty after discussing with a area rep. Never know unless you try.
Get your ducks in a row. Diagnosis, repair estimates, receipts, etc. Document everything. Politely discuss with a positive attitude the issue with the service manager on cause and effect and work this recall notification (whether you get one or not) into the discussion. Escalate as needed up to Chrysler area rep. Maybe you'll get something out of it.

What I find a bit disturbing is the recall references an"adhesive patch" on the nut. Then the recall link (P77 / NHTSA 14V-796) refers to an undersize spline condition.
If it is a "mechanical" locknut no adhesive should be necessary by the way. Manufactures tend to put their logo on locknuts so I'll need to look at mine and see what it has before taking it in.

Quick Reply: Recall For My '05 Ram 9.25" Pinion Nut