3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

This ever happen to you? Transmission Quirk

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 08:49 PM
grayhemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This ever happen to you? Transmission Quirk

I started up my truck and moved the gear selector to reverse. The 'R' had the box around it, showing that I was in reverse. When I gave it a little gas, it just revved up like I wasn't in gear. The display was still indicating that I was in reverse. I gave it a little gas a second time, it just revved like it was in neutral or something. After the second attempt, the box around the 'R' disappeared, and it indicated I wasn't in any gear, i.e. no box around any of the gear selections. I moved the gear selector back up to 'P'. The box reappeared around the 'P' indicating I was back in Park. Moving the gear selector to 'R' again, the truck responded normally and backed up when I gave it some gas. I drove the truck around doing some errands for the next hour or so, and it acted normally. Anybody know why the truck would have done this? I'm hoping it's just a one time quirk and not an indicator of future problems. Thanks for reading.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:41 PM
LXS4Ross
Default RE: This ever happen to you? Transmission Quirk

Funny you should mention that....mine did the same thing yesterday. Put the truck in reverse, gave it some gas, just revved like I was in Neutral. Put it back in Park, threw it in reverse again, and off she went. I too thought it was odd!

Old 10-28-2005, 11:50 PM
nemachuck

Yeah thats happened to me twice so far. One of those times, like u mentioned, i hit the gas and it just reved up and then two seconds later it went into gear. Got a little bit of a jolt. Hasnt happened in any other gear yet.

Old 10-29-2005, 10:01 AM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happens to me once in a while too. Must be a spot between them where the indicator says its in reverse, but it ain't yet.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:53 AM
turbospeed440

Ya this happens to me almost every day when i leave work my truck is pulled
in to a parking space that is on a slight hill. the back is higher than the front i though it into reverse give it gas and it just revs then it goes
I think it has to bulid pressure or something. i just bought the chip so i hope it fixes the problem.
will keep you up to date.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:18 PM
Jerdog706

All these transmission concerns seem pretty prevalent, my truck has done that a few different times and so far I've tried to "grin and bear it".....Of more concern to me, (mind you I only heard this from someone (LMAO)) When ya bury your foot in it, the shifts are about as crisp as warm butter. A good holeshot from a light results in limping into the next gear and even less powerful cars are prone to catching up as the Dodge takes a union break in anticipation of finding the next higher ratio. If this is "torque management", Dodge needs to take that technology and pitch it in the recycle bin. My opinion is, Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars and trucks...........

Old 10-31-2005, 02:05 AM
roadracer18

I have had that problem several times. It worked fine once I moved the tranny back in N then back in reverse. Its just a Dodge thing eh ?

Old 11-01-2005, 02:13 AM
DonG
Veteran

I've heard of several with similar problems that ended up being the range selecter in the trans. Another symptom is occasionally hitting the 4K N/P rev limiter while in D. If this happens the truck will just loose power when you reach 4k. It happened to mine once. I just put in in N then back to D and all was fine.

Old 11-01-2005, 03:39 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Happened to me once and my wife once. Just placed in park then back into reverse and all was well with the world and shrugged it off.

Old 11-01-2005, 05:29 PM
djDaemon

Its happened to me a few times. 99% sure its just "between" gears, nothing more. Just make sure you take an extra half-second to put it in gear.

Quick Reply: This ever happen to you? Transmission Quirk