3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermediate axle stubs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015 | 03:32 PM
Meat Sammich
|
Default Intermediate axle stubs

Hey Fellas... Looking into replacing those stubs and CV's.
2006 1500
problem: I can locate the left/driver stub easily. Finding the right stub is proving to be a pain. Only things I'm seeing is for 2005 1500. I'm pretty sure they're the same, but hoping someone knows for sure.

Old 03-15-2015 | 08:37 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

05170822AA

Are the shafts the same length? (I haven't looked at one since I sold my '02) According to the sites I've checked they list the same part# for both sides..

Old 03-17-2015 | 07:03 PM
Largefarva
Professional

Should be the same.

Old 03-18-2015 | 01:22 AM
Meat Sammich
|

OKAY!... $500.00 and 12 hours later.... I'm all beat up. That sucked all kinds of /\ZZ. That is a 2 person job in a shop. I compromised... me and the cutting wheel on the driveway with my 4yr old son backing me up. Neither side separated from the stubs. Had to cut (axles) to clear the steering knuckles to relieve pressure on the upper CV joint. Was like beating on spring. The boot was too stiff, kept bouncing back. Left side finally broke free inside the differential while turning and smacking with a 3lbs hammer. And no it wasn't easy - trying these ninja hammer moves, up and behind and around and thru.... while curled around a jack stand with that same damned bolt that you keep hitting the back of your head on for the 3rd damn time.... Luckily the right side with the output shaft - simple 4 bolts and it practically falls out.

Left side ---> standard stub $109 (and yes dealership, 1 day to get it done)
Right side ---> Output shaft $235
Left seal ---> $18
Right seal ---> $26
CV Axles ---> $180 for 2
Diff oil ---> $18
*** whooped ---> included in the cost. who'd have thought!

Damn there was this pretty white one sitting outside the door of the dealer when I walked in. I came close 'bout the time I smacked the back of my little finger.

Quick Reply: Intermediate axle stubs