3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do I need a catch can??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 05:27 PM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I need a catch can??

I have an '06 hemi, when it was stock the oil and combustion gases went thru a tube into the intake,before, the throttle body and back into the motor for combustion. When I switched to a AFE stage 2 cai, I clamped the hose to a blocked port on the AFE intake tube.......should I install a catch can and open the port? Or should I just let the pcv valve on the valve cover take care of the excess gases? I must say, that before I did this I had an orange ,rusty colored gunk under the oil cap.......since doing this and switching oils to m1 way back in 2010, the oil cap is clean as the day it was new.....If I do this wouldn't that grungy crap reappear?

Old 10-31-2015, 09:03 PM
PX
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too wouldn't mind knowing what others thought of this. I just put one on my new impala. Surprised at the amount of crap it catches.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My cousin has one for his '06 Charger and he recommends I get one for my '07 Hemi.

Long story short -- it wouldn't hurt.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:27 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I did one on my truck at one point and it never caught anything worth catching so I eventually sold it.

To each their own

Old 11-02-2015, 08:05 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Kinda like a "Cold air intake", if they actually did anything beneficial, it would be installed at the factory.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:22 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Kinda like a "Cold air intake", if they actually did anything beneficial, it would be installed at the factory.
That's some really silly reasoning and I love how scientific you are about it (sarcasm).

There are plenty of reasons why the factory does not make the vehicles and their engines top performers from the factory including but not limited to...

#1. Emissions & Gas Mileage standards

#2. Noise levels, cold air intakes are louder than the standard silenced air intakes on most vehicles today and most people and police agencies would prefer vehicles be of a certain decibel rating. Not everyone who drives a Hemi Durango wants to hear the roar of a hemi over their radio and conversation during a long trip (sad but true, and thankfully I prefer the roar of the hemi to the radio). That's why the exhaust system on the Durango is quieter than the Ram and why the hp ratings were lower as well, people expect trucks to be loud and people expect SUV's to be comfortable and refined.

#3. Theres ALWAYS somewhere to build to with vehicles and the max performance is not always a concern, there are give and takes all of the time and weather or not these modifications do you any good depends on what you're using your vehicle for and what you expect out of it.

#4. It gives the factory wiggle room to increase power ratings for the next year.

#5. Insurance purposes. Horsepower numbers matter to places like these to determine the risks of insuring a driver.

Last but not least lets not forget that the 64 Dodge & Plymouth drag Hemi cars came with restrictive factory exhaust to be road legal and at the track the exhaust cutouts could be and were removed to race and then put back on for the drive home.

Obviously the factory does not always ship a vehicle to perform at its peak, they ship it to perform at a consistent level no matter who is driving it. Its up to the owner to decide what mods will compliment their ride for their purposes the most.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 11-02-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:39 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Spot on mate, good job. : )

Old 11-03-2015, 09:11 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't you mean... HOT AIR intake?