3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Member Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 12:40 PM
chucky0521
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Needs Help

Good morning to all. Thank you for taking the time to read. I am new to the forum as I am new to owning a hemi. I picked up a 2008 Ram 5.7 quad cab for a great deal. I slapped a cherry bomb extreme on it which removed not only about 60 lbs worth of stock crap but also gave me a nice tone down the road. Now comes the expensive stuff. I would like to get her a little more low end power. I was thinking a set of bbk shorty headers and a custom cat delete y pipe but not sure how to keep it from throwing CE lights. Any ideas? Also has anyone had any experience with the bbk 90 mm throttle body. What kind of gains should I expect with the full exhaust and throttle body? And last does anyone have any lowering coils and spindles and lowering leafs and shackles for a decent price. Just looking for some guidance. Thanks for all the help hope to here from ya.

Charles Pela

Old 07-03-2015, 01:04 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 336 Likes on 300 Posts

Check out the 3rd gen Ram section.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:18 AM
KasperR34
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay I've got this one.

Shorty headers are not going to get you any gain over the stock manis. Go with longtubes, some of the cheapest, and what I run are Pacesetter longtubes. Spend the money, buy the ceramic coated ones. Next, you can cut out or hollow the out Cats as you will need to relocate them. I had mine relocated and bought 02 wire extenders. They are plug and play and will not give you a code. I recently straight piped my hemi and all cut all four cats out of the SRT10. Buy 02 non foulers and you can do this with no codes. They're like $23 from JTSVP. I believe he has the 02 wire extenders too, but if not, I think moes performance or shop hemi has them.

My exhaust on my 05 hemi is true duals, one out each side over the frame (because body lift) and they're full straight pipes off longtubes.
You need to be careful not to lose too much backpressure or your nice new exhaust will lose the lowend torque for favor of higher end.

For the TB, I have a BBK 127mm for the SRT and an 87mm TB on the hemi. Stock on an 05 hemi is 80mm. Using my programmer I logged a 0.7 second decrease on my 0-60, it went from multiple 8.0 second runs to consistent 7.3 second runs.

You need to remember that the more supporting mods you have, the better these will work. Having a free flowing intake and exhaust will yield you some gains, but it's not crazy. Get a decent Cold Air intake as well, I have an airaid pipe matched to a Volant box.

This has been covered a million times but I don't mind hitting it again. Let us know what you do!

Old 07-07-2015, 01:23 AM
chucky0521
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thank you Kasper for the knowledge and advice. I will keep everyone posted on the upgrades.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:48 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't bother with the TB until you have the ability to move more air, like cam/head work, full exhaust, etc. The stockers are plenty big.

Quick Reply: New Member Needs Help