3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flex fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:58 AM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flex fuel

How does everyone feel about flex fuel. Issues? I have a neighbor with a company fan using reg gas that is designed for flex and he says he puts reg gas in it. It seems like it doesn't effect it. His last van he put over 300k this van he has now. 2012 has over 100k does anyone have some good advice on this issue.

Here is something I found.....
The reason they run 2 style plugs, is because the iridium plugs are basically just a "waste spark" meaning it sparks as the exhaust valve is opening and the exhaust starts to flow out of the cylinder, this is just to burn off any unburned fuel that may be present. Because of this, the engine doesn't actually run off these spark plugs, hence the 100k service interval.

Unfortunately, the 4.7l engine is one of Chrysler's engines that actually don't run well with Platinum or Iridium plugs, hence the Copper plugs on the combustion spark plugs.

Some vehicles run ok with no problems using these plugs, some don't. Usually what happens is they run well for a short time, then shortly after, they begin causing intermittent cylinder "Misfire" events, if enough of these misfire events happen, it causes the vehicle to run rough and eventually a check engine light with P0300 series codes... So that is up to you, but I would recommend to stick with the copper plugs where needed, and the iridiums where needed....

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/6sh4...#ixzz3gXD9lu79

Last edited by GRed; 07-21-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:14 AM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run e85 in my 2003 with stock copper plugs the last 65k miles ($1.99 a gal vs. $2.49) but mostly intown driving jobsite to jobsite the mpg drops to 9mpg from 11mpg on regular fuel. Also have run E85 in my 2000 neon, mowers, 2 cycle motors and boats the last 2 years not a single issue. but I dont leave E85 in anything over 2 weeks either and before storage or winter I run a full tank of regular & seam foam to clean out anything. just my experience to share

Old 07-21-2015, 10:30 AM
GRed
Professional

Originally Posted by TejasMtnBiker
I run e85 in my 2003 with stock copper plugs the last 65k miles ($1.99 a gal vs. $2.49) but mostly intown driving jobsite to jobsite the mpg drops to 9mpg from 11mpg on regular fuel. Also have run E85 in my 2000 neon, mowers, 2 cycle motors and boats the last 2 years not a single issue. but I dont leave E85 in anything over 2 weeks either and before storage or winter I run a full tank of regular & seam foam to clean out anything. just my experience to share
I do appreciate you sharing...I was looking at buying a 08 ram but found out it was flex

Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 AM
GRed
Professional

I do appreciate you sharing...I was looking at buying a 08 8950.00ram but found out it was flex but am very cautious

Old 07-21-2015, 10:45 AM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

keep in mind though mine is not a flex vehicle either

Old 07-21-2015, 11:22 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just because it's rated to run flex fuel doesn't mean you have to run flex fuel. The truck is designed to run regular fuel but the lines, seals, etc. are synthetic as so much ethanol is very corrosive - not to mention absorbs huge amounts of water from the air which would cause rust issues in a standard fuel system.

The reason people get lower fuel economy with e 85 is because ethanol has 33% less energy than pure ethanol free gasoline. This means you'll burn 1/3 more in the same interval. On average, e85 costs about 20% less than e10 and has about 25% less energy so in reality it costs slightly more.

Also since it absorbs moisture, it will destabilize faster. The higher the ethanol content, the shorter the shelf life.

IMO buy the '08, run ethanol free if you can get it, if running e10/15 use an ethanol treatment / stabilizer especially if truck is going to sit some and don't mess with e85. Ethanol is basically a way for the government to subsidize farmer's corn and soy bean crops. You wanna give the farmer a helping hand, fine. But subsidize products that go for human consumption so people can afford to feed their families better. The govt. doesn't need to be messing with fuel, they got enough issues already...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 07-21-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:19 PM
GRed
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Just because it's rated to run flex fuel doesn't mean you have to run flex fuel. The truck is designed to run regular fuel but the lines, seals, etc. are synthetic as so much ethanol is very corrosive - not to mention absorbs huge amounts of water from the air which would cause rust issues in a standard fuel system.

The reason people get lower fuel economy with e 85 is because ethanol has 33% less energy than pure ethanol free gasoline. This means you'll burn 1/3 more in the same interval. On average, e85 costs about 20% less than e10 and has about 25% less energy so in reality it costs slightly more.

Also since it absorbs moisture, it will destabilize faster. The higher the ethanol content, the shorter the shelf life.

IMO buy the '08, run ethanol free if you can get it, if running e10/15 use an ethanol treatment / stabilizer especially if truck is going to sit some and don't mess with e85. Ethanol is basically a way for the government to subsidize farmer's corn and soy bean crops. You wanna give the farmer a helping hand, fine. But subsidize products that go for human consumption so people can afford to feed their families better. The govt. doesn't need to be messing with fuel, they got enough issues already...
Hammer, you have confirmed my suspicion hope I spelled it right...anyways appreciate your input..

Old 07-23-2015, 12:02 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain

it will be interesting to see the seals, orings, 2bl carb, mech fuel pump & lines are damaged from using the E85 in my boat as next spring a new motor goes in my boat w/the holley FI set up & electric pump. I'll be sure to have some photos to share at late date in the non-dodge section. going to miss that good mpg 4banger hehe

Old 07-23-2015, 01:45 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

it will be interesting to see the seals, orings, 2bl carb, mech fuel pump & lines are damaged from using the E85 in my boat as next spring a new motor goes in my boat w/the holley FI set up & electric pump. I'll be sure to have some photos to share at late date in the non-dodge section. going to miss that good mpg 4banger hehe
I spent from 1992-2004 tournament bass fishing 6-8 months most weekends and about one weekend a month the rest of the year. It's problems with E10 sitting those slower months first made me seek out ethanol free or using StarTron in not only my boats but all my outdoor equipment. I will say I've never had to replace a fuel line or primer pump since I started treating E10 or buying ethanol free...

Curious to see the effect of E85...

Quick Reply: Flex fuel