3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Ram 1500,rear end is noisey

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:01 PM
tori
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Ram 1500,rear end is noisey

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 I am working on,rear end is noisey.History is the customer had a buddy of his put in carrier and pinion bearings in it 3 weeks ago.I checked the backlash which was a little out of spec.I do have the specialty tools for setting up the 9 1/4 Chrysler rear ends.Plus I did tear it apart finding the pinion depth was off too.I think this was put together wrong somewhere by this buddy of his,no shims put behind one pinion bearing.I did find damage done to the pinion bearings installed incorrectly.Plus the ring and pinion is tore up a little bit.Boss is talking him into deciding to redo the whole job over again installing a new ring and pinion set including carrier and pinion bearings or replacing the rear end with an used one.I am pretty good at setting up the 9 1/4 Chrysler rear ends right on the money.Options on this?I don't need this to come back again with a rear end noise.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:01 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Just do it right and how it should be. Remember if you are using aftermarket gears then OEM specs are out the window and they need to be setup by measuring depth and side to side over put in

Old 08-31-2015, 02:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Start from scratch and do it right or the thing is gonna be like a bad penny...

Old 09-01-2015, 05:58 PM
tori

Ended up ordering a new ring and pinion set from Yukon Gear yesterday.Plus have the carrier and pinion bearings including seals on order.Hopefully the ring and pinion set comes in Thursday or Friday,I am doing this one and never had a comeback yet since I know what I am doing having the specialty tools also.This customer learned his learned his lesson too,don't take it to this buddy of his anymore.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree, modded my old '04 Hemi to the hilt. Only labor I paid someone to do was the swap to 4.56 gears and auburn lsd install. Money well spent - never even had the hint of a whine...

Old 09-01-2015, 09:48 PM
tori

Good thing is my boss is glad I will work on this rear axle since it is a simple axle to work on.My co workers won't touch one of these at all.I tell them about this old Chrysler MTS video which everything is still the same to this day,
Going to work on one in a 2004 with a cooked up ring and pinion including the carrier bearings tommorrow.Oil change place never checked the fluid level in it,coming on the flat bed.Customer said it was howling.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram 1500,rear end is noisey