3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

needing tires soon

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:01 AM
shanes76
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needing tires soon

Im going to be buying tires soon, was wandering if I could get some recommendations. Size is 315/70/17. Im looking for an aggressive tread type, have been looking at the kumh road ventures, degan 38, and I also run across a rather new one called ironman all country but couldn't find a price on them. Been checking out procomp as well. Any good sites to order from with good deals?

Old 09-08-2015, 07:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Discount tire direct. Though I've found that there really is no price difference compared to just going to a store and buying them there, you still have to pay for mounting and balancing, tire disposal, etc (unless you can do it yourself).

Old 09-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Had Pro Comp A/T on my truck before, and hated them. The have a progressive compound that starts really wonderful and grippy, but quickly gets very hard as the miles wear. I had zero confidence in them when I got rid of them with a lot of life left. I can only imagine how their M/Ts are.

The best tires I have ever used (both on my Ram and Jeep) were Goodyear DuraTracs. Some sidewall issues talked about here and there (Hammer has personally witnessed it, I believe), but I had them for three years of daily driving in summer and German winters, a fair amount of off roading in trails, sharp shale pits converted to an offroad park, and mud. Great wear and feel.

I just recently put Cooper SSTs on, and so far I'm less than impressed, even for a MT on a daily driver. I don't anticipate these lasting too long (literally and figuratively) on a big heavy truck.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, the problem with ProComp used to was they didn't make their tires. Were bid out to Asian makers and other than looking the same to the eye, you never knew what you'd get. Had a good buddy put a set on a Wrangler were slicks at 18,000 miles. Dunno if they make them now or not.

Duratracs have long been the Jeepers staple. If I had $5 for every set I saw on a Jeep mounted on Crager Soft 8s I'd probably be able to pay off my truck. BUT the knock has always been weak sidewalls on heavier vehicles. I've seen them fail on diesels, and heard of them failing on 1/2 tons but never seen it first hand. 1500 non-towing or hauling probably be just fine.

Me, personally, I've always been partial to Mickey Thompson/ Dick Cepek. Cost more, but I've worn out a lot of tires in my day, but never one of those and they flat out perform. Had a set of Mickey MTX (long ago replaced by the MTZ) on my 2nd Gen got to 68,000 and still had good tread when I traded the truck. The Cepek FCIIS on my 3rd Gen had close to 50k on them when I sold the truck with better than 50% tread left.

My little brother didn't listen to me a couple years ago and bought a set of Maxxis Buckshots. Fantastic in the south Georgia clay mud until at 15,000 miles on pavement they were completely bald. Now he runs Mickey MTZs.

Using 35" tires as an example cause it's what I normally buy, you can pay $200 for a tire and
get 30k out of it or pay $300 for a tire and not have to worry about buying again until it has 75k or more on it. So given what you're looking at, I say get the Deegans...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-08-2015 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll echo that. Go with the Deegans. I don't know much about THAT particular tire, but I've never seen or heard a bad word about anything from MT/Cepek, aside from the initial buy-in. I should have mentioned that I was looking for either the old-style Cepek FCII (what I really wanted) or MT MTZ in 33", but were nigh impossible to get here without paying more than the tires in shipping, or waiting up to 6 months for 4WP to get their next shipment in. That's why I ended up with the Coopers. I was curious about them last time I was in the market for tires, so figured I'd give them a shot this time out to get it out of my system. We'll see how they do in the Hawaiian red dirt.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:36 AM
shanes76
Professional

Looking like deegans. Lol anyone ever try the ironman all ****ry tires? I couldn't find a price on them

Old 09-09-2015, 10:19 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
I'll echo that. Go with the Deegans. I don't know much about THAT particular tire, but I've never seen or heard a bad word about anything from MT/Cepek, aside from the initial buy-in. I should have mentioned that I was looking for either the old-style Cepek FCII (what I really wanted) or MT MTZ in 33", but were nigh impossible to get here without paying more than the tires in shipping, or waiting up to 6 months for 4WP to get their next shipment in. That's why I ended up with the Coopers. I was curious about them last time I was in the market for tires, so figured I'd give them a shot this time out to get it out of my system. We'll see how they do in the Hawaiian red dirt.
I'm actually hearing a lot of good out of new design Cepek Fun Country owners. No noticeable difference on the trail but much quieter on pavement.

I'm thinking when it comes time to replace on my CTD they are going to be either Cepek Trail Country or Mickey Baja STZ. I'm afraid it won't be long, the s*itty Firestone AT stockers are half worn at 11,000 miles. I'm going less aggressive this time as I'm getting older and my off roading anymore are more traditional trails hunting and fishing. My needs now are for a long wearing, comfortable, E load tire with some light off roading.

That's the sign of getting old. Twenty years ago I was buying Baja Claws, ten years ago it was Fun Country IIs and now I'm looking at quieter, better MPG treads...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-09-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:11 PM
shanes76
Professional

Ironman all country?

Old 09-09-2015, 06:18 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

http://hercules-tires.pissedconsumer.com/

Never heard of them but obviously some people bought them...

Old 09-09-2015, 08:37 PM
shanes76
Professional

Oh my, scrath those lol

Quick Reply: needing tires soon