3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Driver's Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:32 AM
Gator_S2K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's Window Problem

I will start off by saying that I have (and still am) searching forums about this topic. I know windows/switches not working is a fairly common problem and in the Ram it is usually the switch module or a broken wire.

Now, my problem:
The driver's side window won't work (up or down) when the key is in the foreward-turned (run) position, with the engine running or not. However, if I turn the key backwards to accessory, the window works perfectly fine! All other windows and locks/switches work fine. I have already replaced the switch module (before I found out it works in accessory). I think it has got to be a broken wire somewhere but haven't found it yet. Maybe a bad connector? Anybody know the wiring well enough to point me in the right direction?

I will pre-apologize for any electrical noobishness. I have worked on cars my whole life and have a good understanding of the mechanical aspects, but electrical is one of those "magic happens" things in my mind. I consider myself a smart guy, but I have avoided electrical doings at all cost up until now.

Thanks in advance, I will leave you with a picture of the truck you are trying to fix

2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Hemi

Old 09-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Gator_S2K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I have an update. I convinced myself it had to be the power wire that powers the driver's window motorwhile the car is in run (I guess it has a different power wire for accessory?). Anyway, I checked out as many of the wires inside the door and inside the grommet/tube between the door and a-pillar (common place wires split from opening/closing doors). Everything I saw or felt seemed to be in good order. Then I decided to check the connectors. I wiggled (very mechanic-like) each wire and "pushed" it into its connector. I did this to as many of the connectors I could find, including the ones at the a-pillar. None of the wires seemed loose but I decided to check to see if that helped anything. Turned the truck on, and VOILA! IT WORKS!

But, I know I didn't fix anything long-term. Its just a matter of time before whichever wire was the issue gets loose again. So, does anyone know the wiring well enough to tell/show me which wire supplies the power to the window motor in the "run" position but not "accessory"? I need to trace it from the A pillar, presumably up to the switch, then down to the motor (I am unsure of route but that seems logical).

edit: I am buying a multimeter tomorrow. But, I have never really used one and do not how exactly they work. I know I need to ground it with the black pin, do I need to use the ground wire or just pick my own ground spot on the truck? Then do I just poke at wires with the truck running until I find one with power?

Last edited by Gator_S2K; 09-12-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Driver's Window Problem