3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

48RE Shift Lever Mod/Fix

Old 09-22-2015, 09:19 AM
crazycarroll119
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48RE Shift Lever Mod/Fix

2006 Dodge Ram 2500

So the 48RE automatic shift lever (at the transmission) rusted out causing a no shift condition, like move the gear shift on the column and nothing happens. The design of the shift lever at the tranny is a post and ball that the shift cable which has a plastic eyelet snaps onto. Well the ball rusted and wore down and we all know what happens when the ball and post wears down. No good comes of that!

First thing I did was obtain a new lever for $23 from the local Dodge dealer. Removed the TTVA with some taps from a hammer being it was rusted on. Then snapped the cable on and found there was no snapping because the cable had also worn.

So I try to order a new $90 cable and it is on national back order. What to do...

I ended up taking the old shift lever, cutting off the ball and post. Then drilling a 5/16" hole through the center. Welding in a clevis pin with washer and cotter pin. Although you can just JB Weld the thing. This thing will never come off again. The parts for this are about $2.00 if you don't factor in glue or welding.

Here are some pics.

Here is the old ball and post cut off from the lever.

Here is a new lever. To modify a lever you would cut off the ball and post.Then drill 5/16" hole where post used to sit.

Here is the modified lever with clevis pin. Clevis pin has been cut off as it came longer with more holes. Conveniently, the hole I needed was the right distance for the cable to fit. Also it is installed from the bottom through the hole so the head part of the pin (like head of a nail) can be either welded or glued upon insertion (I use JB Quick sets in 4 minutes).

Side view of modified lever. Cable eylet goes on post washer goes on top with cotter pin. May have to drill 5/16" or egg out a little the shift cable eyelet if it feels too tight. Also glued a stainless steel washer for cable to sit on and rotate. Stainless steel washer for top too prevents rust. Painted helps keep rust down. Upon installation shot some DW-40 down on the post to lube and keep rust away.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:12 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 48RE Shift Lever Mod/Fix