3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any options for improving Transmission downshifting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 01:30 PM
HuskerNation1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any options for improving Transmission downshifting?

Why is it my ram wont downshift until one really puts their foot into the gas to create the need, but yet the need is already there beforehand? Basically at lower speed turns the tranny will not down shift from say 3rd gear as i roll onto the gas. The truck obviously needs to downshift to accelerate better but instead is bogged down trying to get going. To fix this I end up pushing the gas pedal until it recognizes the need to downshift and then finally does so.

Is there a true fix, hopefully a cost effective and easy fix, one that wont ruin my tranny? The way it currently shifts really takes the fun out of driving it around town.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:11 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Probably a tuner would help....

Old 10-08-2015, 08:05 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

All shifts are computer controlled. I don't know if unhooking the battery for awhile to reset the PCM will help or not. It's free and worth a shot.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:02 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by HuskerNation1
Why is it my ram wont downshift until one really puts their foot into the gas to create the need, but yet the need is already there beforehand? Basically at lower speed turns the tranny will not down shift from say 3rd gear as i roll onto the gas. The truck obviously needs to downshift to accelerate better but instead is bogged down trying to get going. To fix this I end up pushing the gas pedal until it recognizes the need to downshift and then finally does so.

Is there a true fix, hopefully a cost effective and easy fix, one that wont ruin my tranny? The way it currently shifts really takes the fun out of driving it around town.
Yeah I get this too. You can sometimes trick it to downshift by pressing the od/off button.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:51 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

With my Diablo tuner you can adjust pedal sensitivity (I think it's still called that) and I can tell you on my truck, with a little engine load and more pedal it will downshift quickly

Old 10-13-2015, 06:32 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Prismatic
Yeah I get this too. You can sometimes trick it to downshift by pressing the od/off button.
Pressing the O/D button is not "tricking" it - it's a downshift (all the way down to third). I often use that for moderate braking. If I need more, I pull it down to second.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:40 PM
DodgeFanMP
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was having similar issues with my truck...

Originally Posted by HuskerNation1

My truck seemed sluggish and slow to shift. I knew something was not right because it didn't use to drive that way, and there would be an occasional day that it drove fine. I finally decided to try replacing my MAP sensor this past weekend, and also disconnected the baterry to clear the PCM. So far this has made a profound improvement in the way the truck drives and shifts.

No telling if your issue is similar, but for $40 and 15 minutes of your time, it may be worth a gamble. Also, are you due for a transmission fluid change?

Quick Reply: Any options for improving Transmission downshifting?