3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LSD Clips wore into cap/Housing and True trac and Auburn ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Joe.G
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LSD Clips wore into cap/Housing and True trac and Auburn ?

Hi, Guys well my clips backed out of my LSD and wore my Cap and Housing down a bit, The bearing race is uncovered a bit but was not touched and the groove does not go all the way down to the bolt hole/threads so most of the shops I talked to said i should be ok to reuse the housing.

What are your thoughts?

Also i ordered a Richmond master rebuild kit and also a Eaton/Detroit True Trac Unit, Did I make the right choice over the Auburn unit?

With the rebate the True trac is going to work out to be cheaper ( not the reason I bought it ) Thanks

PS What fluid should I run and Where can i get the tool needed to to adjust the carrier preload ?

Old 09-26-2015, 06:53 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

My Caps, and housing look like this, Post # 419 and #422, all of the diff shops I spoke with said that it should be fine to run like this what do you guy's think?

http://www.*********.com/forums/show...&pp=40&page=11
P.S I have a 3.92 ratio.

Last edited by Joe.G; 09-27-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Daytona#4595
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Trac

I put the true trac in my 05 ram 4x4 and I love it. I have the 3.92 gears as well.
You will want to use the Redline 75-14 NS oil, the NS means no additive.
The ring gear bolts are left hand thread.... Use new ring gear bolts as well.
Replace all bearing including the axle bearings and wash the housing out thoroughly.
I bought new Moser axles for mine.

The speed sensor ring ( no info in the manual) on the old carrier you need to tap off evenly with a brass drift and then install in the same manor.
There is a recall on some of the diff's for the problem with the clips coming out and mine was replaced previously for free by the dealer. Also there is a recall for the pinion nuts coming loose. Make sure to use the new style nut and locking mechanism.

Lastly look at the mag-hytec rear diff covers. They use an Oring ( no more sealer) and they have a drain and a dipstick and hold 1.5 qts more oil.

Rob

Old 09-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Daytona#4595
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default typo

Sorry Typo, use the 75-140 NS oil

Old 09-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Joe.G
Veteran

How do you feel about the caps?
Are you having any issues with the Syn Gear oil?
How do you like the DTT, I am a bit worried about only one wheel spinning in certain situations.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:41 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've used both types of LSDs. This is my take. Auburn and most other friction units lock up fast and the higher the bias the firmer they lock up BUT the less street able they are. Auburn has both a street and track version, even the street model locks up faster than a worm gear unit which has to build into locking up.

One advantage to a worm gear unit (TT) is you get roughly the same performance at 100k as you did new. Clutch pack units wear over time.

My personal opinion, Auburn for strictly street and especially 2wd at the track. Worm units for 4wd and off road use...

Old 09-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

You say Auburn for Street and Worm for 4wd, SO a 4WD truck used mostly on the street you recommend the auburn unit?

I ordered the DTT but I am kinda thinking I should have gotten the Auburn. I did like how the stock LSD worked.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe.G
You say Auburn for Street and Worm for 4wd, SO a 4WD truck used mostly on the street you recommend the auburn unit?

I ordered the DTT but I am kinda thinking I should have gotten the Auburn. I did like how the stock LSD worked.

I had an Auburn in my lifted '04 and listened to a lot of TT owners that I made a mistake that those clutch packs would wear out. My reasoning was 35" tires and at the time Detroit voided their warranty for applications with tires over 33". Eaton took that stipulation out when they bought Detroit.

I had the Auburn put installed with my 4.56 gears in '05 and when I sold last year I can't say I saw any performance difference BUT I never put rubber to the pavement either which would cause premature wear to be sure. The Vari-locks in both axles of my Jeep also had clutches although they use hydraulic fluid to engage the clutch packs. 104,000 miles and they weren't worn either, at least as far as I could tell.

LSD in my 2500 is an AAM version of the Tru Trac and it's fine. Naturally I don't launch my 8000# truck, so if it doesn't engage quite as fast I'll never know it.

Honestly, I've never heard a TT or an Auburn owner complain. One has an advantage where it locks up faster at launch at the track, the other theoretically never wears out. If neither is a deal breaker for you, then either would suffice...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-28-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Joe.G
Veteran

I am not concerned with wearing either out, I just am not sure if I like the idea of the DTT taking longer to "lock" both wheels, I have a Detroit Locker and a Auburn unit in my Track cars ( Chevy Z 28's ).

I see the DTT is also made in Tawian which makes me a bit nervous

Old 10-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Joe.G
Veteran

I got a Detroit True Trac,Richmond master rebuild kit, Torco 85w140 Non Syn oil and a I am going to add a G2 diff cover with the bolts that go against the bearing caps. I hope it stays together, and the install goes well.

Anyone use the Torco Oil?

Quick Reply: LSD Clips wore into cap/Housing and True trac and Auburn ?