3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

*** In Need of a Great High Output Alternator ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 06:10 AM
b_wood00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow *** In Need of a Great High Output Alternator ***

Hey my Dodge Forum Family,

I need a bit of you guys' help and input!!

Earlier this year, I installed a 4000 watt audio setup in my truck, and I've noticed I'm having some very serious voltage drop when playing some songs. Right now, I have the stock 136 amp alternator in my truck, and it does pretty good overal!!
Since I've had my setup playing tho, my LOWS amp has overheated and cut off twice. So if i'm not mistaken, those are two signs that I need a Higher Output Alternator.

My problem is, in doing quite a bit of research, im stuck trying to decide which high output alternator I should go with on my Dodge Ram. I mean, I need something that flows easy with the Dodge ECM, not causing any check engine lights to come on, and actually delivers the rated power as stated.

Mechman was my first choice, but I've read in customer reviews that bearings within the alternator are known to fail, and Mechman's customer service isn't worth the investment. Plus, the warranty is only two years, and even if you have a problem with your alternator within those two years, there's a good chance that Mechman won't cover it!!

I've also heard of this company called GP Car Audio that has only been out a few years. So, I'm not sure if this company has actually been out long enough to be considered "reputable." ...I do know they're PRICEY as h*ll, though!! lol

Singer Alternator is said to be an outstanding product, made very well with quality components, provides outstanding customer service, and carries a lifetime warranty!! Yet, I've heard Singer Alts are actually just re-stamped Mechman Alts.

Then there's DC Power and Excessive Amperage High Output Alternators!!

Now, all of my Dodge Forum Peeps, please understand that I know there are HATERS everywhere and of every product!! I also know that you get what you pay for, and I NEVER MIND paying for GREAT QUALITY, but I'm not just trying to throw my money away on only a "brand name" either!!
I really need to invest in a well put together unit, with very decent components, and in case I ever have a problem with the unit, I'll be in GREAT HANDS with the company!! On extra note, I'm sure you guys know that these high output alternators are running upwards of $400 in price, so this has to be a very careful purchase!! ...I never could imagine paying this much for an alternator in my life!! lol

So, if any of you can give me any advice, please give me your MOST HONEST opinion, and If you don't mind explaining why you feel how you feel, I'd GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!

Thanks In Advance, Family!!

Old 10-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Have you thought about a high output capacitor?

Old 11-01-2015, 08:42 AM
b_wood00

yea, i did think about a capacitor, but I really think a capacitor will do more HARM than HELP for my application. A capacitor is designed to produce quick bursts of stored energy!!
...So, for the songs that drop real low with long bass lines, like a lot of down south rap and screw music have, I think the capacitor will only help draw more current for power than help!! ...I need a good brand high output alternator to supply big power, so I can keep my voltage high!!
I mean at this point, I'm not having the DIMMING HEADLIGHTS problem, its just that some of the heavy LOW BASS songs drain my voltage to less than 12.6v. Then, i have to end up taking some bass out of my system to keep from having that major drain!!

Do you get what I'm sayin?? what u think?? ....Holla back!!

Old 11-01-2015, 11:35 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Im running two 65 series batteries (1000CA / 850CCA) with a stock 160A alt. I did do the Big 3 upgrade (see my thread on it)

Things I power.....
2 sets of HIDs
4 TVs and a tablet
Xbox 360
2000w system
ExtremeAire air compressor (this is killer on my electrical system - LINK)

You can change out to the 160A alt without changing anything else. I have zero electrical load issues

Old 11-05-2015, 11:47 PM
b_wood00

Hey Weedahoe,

I'm running four 12s on a 3500 watt amp tho!! Bumpin at full tilt for hours at a time, on a daily basis, do you think that 160 amp alt would really hold up??
I mean, I think my stock 136 amp alt is doing maybe like 60 - 75 amps at idle, and I would think the 160 amp alt delivers in the neighborhood of 90 amps at idle!! That's why i was thinking a higher output alt would be best for me!!
...Then again, you know how it goes, once you get enough of one audio setup, you're gonna want to go bigger!! So, I'd want to have enough power supply to even fit the demands of the bigger setup as well, whenever I decide to go bigger!! lol
Will 90 amps at idle do the job for my current setup tho??

Old 11-10-2015, 10:10 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Go buy those deep cycle marine grade batteries and a custom alt. Hell, I've seen guys use two alts with custom brackets.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:20 PM
swamper
Veteran

you guys are going to go deaf playing your music that loud lol.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:09 PM
b_wood00

hey Weedahoe,

Ur right! ...I've seen multiple alternators being used as well!! ...I was thinking a good SINGLE high output alternator would be exactly what I need, instead of multiple alts and custom brackets. Usually those type of setups are required when ur doing like 20,000 watts and better. I'm not in that league yet!! lol
So, i'm just trying to determine a GREAT BRAND of high output alternator to use in my application. There are a few brands of high output alts out there!! Wondering which is the best though!!

Old 11-17-2015, 07:11 PM
b_wood00

Hey Swamper,

What better way to go than with DEAF EARS?? ...so, we don't have to listen to the bull$#*t!! lol

Old 11-18-2015, 09:50 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by b_wood00
Hey Swamper,

What better way to go than with DEAF EARS?? ...so, we don't have to listen to the bull$#*t!! lol

Paradox?

Quick Reply: *** In Need of a Great High Output Alternator ***