3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CV intermediate shaft stuck to CV axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 02:01 PM
acurbelo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV intermediate shaft stuck to CV axle

Hello everyone,
I need a little bit of help with the following issue...
I got a 2008 Ram 1500 SXT HEMI 5.7 4x4
A few weeks ago I started hearing what could be described as a clapping noise coming from the front/driver side tire, the noise would increase on frequency as the the truck accelerates and decreases as the truck slows down.
After checking the breaks and any other part that it might be rubbing when the wheel turn I realized that the hub had a little bit of play so went ahead and replaced the whole hub assembly, that didn't solve the problem... and after some more research I heard that it could be the the cv axle, so I have one in order...
Now, in the process of removing the old hub I came across to an "easy" way and it was removing the cv axle, that's when i realized that the CV intermediate shaft is is stuck to the axle, it won't stay in the differential as it should...
Now my question is the following,

1- is that normal or it might be anything else damage inside the differential that would require me to open the case and check...
2- If I just order another CV Intermediate Shaft could I just slide it in, instead of trying to fight to remove the old one providing the seal is not broken (I already ordered another seal just in case anyways)

i would appreciate any help you guys could provide me with, I just don't wanna take everything apart to find out I can't finish the job and have to close everything again till I get the new part(s), I rather other everything I might need and return what I don't use..
Thanks in advance, I look forward to all your inputs !

Quick Reply: CV intermediate shaft stuck to CV axle