3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Viper alarm

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 01:03 AM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Viper alarm

After inquiring a bit about an aftermarket alarm (specifically a Viper 5906 or something similar from Viper's associated brand installing such a system can it "make my truck hotwireable." having a remote start would make all the wires necessary to hotwire the car all available in the same place, but does that really make the car that much easier to steal?
What do you guys feel bout these systems. Install is about $650 vehicles are getting stolen left and right here. I had one truck stolen and don't need another. One was just hotwired less 60 sec. And it was caught on camera.

What are some pros. & cons what do you guys have in yours

Thx

Old 01-22-2016, 07:34 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Well, it's going to be alarming all the while they are trying to Hotwire it, right? Personally, I use a steering wheel bar. Cheaper.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:52 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GRed
What are some pros. & cons what do you guys have in yours

Thx

I've had Vipers installed on 4 Chrysler products since 2008.
02 Durango
03 Stratus
05 Ram 1500
08 Sebring

Overall I'm happy with them. They clearly out range our 2010 Journey's factory RS as far as response distance.

The 5701 model "2 Way" remote fobs are a plus over the "1 Way". However, they do tend to use up batteries faster (2 X 2016's for "2 Way") than the "1 Way" (1 X 2032 for "1 Way").

The battery covers on the above older basic fobs were a sore spot as the latches easily were broke and you could loose the cover. Ended up buying fob covers for those. The newer model (5204) fobs are a better design with no need for a cover.

On another model (5702) I had to replace one rechargeable LCD "2 Way" fob as the remote start button broke off the circuit board after 3 years.

Systems do seem sound as long as they are installed properly. Some installs require "extra" components to be compatible with the vehicle.

Some complaints hear-say to me of excessive current draw during active alarm set, evidently leading to low battery and no starts. Maybe bad component or installed wrong?

Hope this helps

Old 01-22-2016, 10:17 PM
GRed
Professional

Dave yes very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to write such a detail response. Ty

I'm looking at the 5906 model with possibly the sst however here's what I have ran into
I have seen a eBay dealer give a 2 yr warranty on that sys. I have talked with installers and of course they want me to buy their system that's 1 1/2 times marked up. And also they have said viper won't warranty it. Is this because if they blow a unit they can return it for credit saying its defective? Where as if I buy it and they blow it. It's in my hands

Old 01-22-2016, 10:22 PM
GRed
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Well, it's going to be alarming all the while they are trying to Hotwire it, right? Personally, I use a steering wheel bar. Cheaper.
Jkeaton, I hear ya, but once you had your truck taken... YOU WOUld think diff. However.. I still will strongly consider the bar the fact it would take them what??? Umm longer to get through it thinking now about it.. Maybe I will buy one.. HOW long does it really take to get through it ????

Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Stainless steel? Hand saw? Probably 10 minutes, faster if they are on crack. Thing is, it's a visual deterrent. Thieves are always looking for opportunity. I even went so far on one of my cars to put some "viper alarm" stickers and a flashing red LED light lowered by a watch battery. Cost me like $10. They will look elsewhere if they think it will take longer than 60 seconds to get in and drive away.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GRed
Dave yes very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to write such a detail response. Ty

I'm looking at the 5906 model with possibly the sst however here's what I have ran into
I have seen a eBay dealer give a 2 yr warranty on that sys. I have talked with installers and of course they want me to buy their system that's 1 1/2 times marked up. And also they have said viper won't warranty it. Is this because if they blow a unit they can return it for credit saying its defective? Where as if I buy it and they blow it. It's in my hands
Yes, unless you're an "Directed Certified" installer, I doubt Directed will back you on any of the components for warranty if bought from Ebay or similar. My son was a Geek Squad guy at Best Buy and their installer was very reliable so I just left it all to him. Never had any issues with the installs or installed components, just the fobs. My sons employee discount I do miss these days. If you have one installed "professionally" check how long the installer has been installing.

Personally, I purchased these more for the remote start on the vehicles listed above. But, it's good to have an alarm (if it works, lol) also. I started changing a wiper blade on the Stratus a couple weeks ago and the alarm started chirping at me.

I'm sure the red flashing led (blue btw on my vipers) and bar is an adequate deterrent to most thieves if that's the route you go. Then too, if there's will, there's a way. If they want it bad enough they will likely get it and/or destroy everything in their way trying.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:48 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a Viper (DEI) alarm on mine. 5902 I think with 2 way remotes and remote start. I do have the starter interrupt wired. I've never had an issue with my alarm.

Quick Reply: Viper alarm