3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

26 gallon tank? Every time I fill it is 19gal?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black02CrCb
Okay that is exactly what I thought, that it was past the red line and "0" marker. I guess I could have a gas can ready and try to run it totally dry.. although not sure that is good on the gas pump..
Definitely NOT good for the fuel pump. As for the tank not holding its capacity, phooie! Capacity is capacity. My Chevy 1500 had a 36 gallon tank. From sputter-to-a-stop to max full was 37.3 gallons. I've put a bit over 24 gallons in my Ram's 26 gallon tank. It wasn't quite at the bottom peg.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:38 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
great backpedalling.
right out of automotive technology, a systems approach by jack erjavec 4th edition page 693
"fuel height controls allow for only 90% of the tank to be filled. The remaining 10% is for expansion during hot weather".

Suggesting the tank has a "to contain" capacity rating is much more diplomatic than "I have never heard of such crap". Maybe try that first next time.
You're one dense person. I don't have to try any suggestion you come up with because You obviously have a hard time comprehending overall volume with tank liquid capacity.

I don't disagree that there needs to be room for expansion, I'm saying the rated capacity is what you can expect to fill a given tank up with the, the 10% expansion goes without saying. Can you imagine if a consumer/passenger tank was rated for 26 gallons of total volume and could only hold 22 and people think they can stuff 4 more gallons in on top of trying to calculate accurate fuel usage...its not rated that way because that is disingenuous and misleading to the public. A tank can hold 26 gallons plus its expansion room....Boom Goes the dynamite!

Rating a commercial tank with a passenger car tank is two totally different things.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:01 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Definitely NOT good for the fuel pump. As for the tank not holding its capacity, phooie! Capacity is capacity. My Chevy 1500 had a 36 gallon tank. From sputter-to-a-stop to max full was 37.3 gallons. I've put a bit over 24 gallons in my Ram's 26 gallon tank. It wasn't quite at the bottom peg.
Well at red the most I have put it was right above 19 gallons. Not 20, still 19. I know there expansion and all, but why even say +6 gallons if you don't get that? Seems silly to me. I want to know when EMPTY is EMPTY.. never know when you will be driving through the desert or the zombie apocalypse happens.. I mean we gotta know when the limit is hit ya know!

Old 02-17-2016, 02:04 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Originally Posted by Ram Driver
It sounds like your fuel gauge is off a little.
it very well could be. The trip computer estimate is linked to the red line though.. I mean when it says "0" it is at read :shrug: not sure, and also not sure other than running it out of gas there is to check the volume.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:06 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Originally Posted by Daves69
I'm thinking calibration issue. I'd run it down to red and drain the remainder into a 5 gallon gas can to find out. My old '02 Durango would and current '05 Ram does fill to the spec.
On both I've run the DTE to under 10 miles and filled up. That 32 tank on the Ram is a lot easier to fill so far this year as compared to last year, Lol.
good suggestion. and YES the price is very decent, at a more $ it would be undoable.. I don't think I would have bought it! lol

Old 02-17-2016, 09:22 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The EVIC is linked to tank size, there is option menu in the DRBIII to change it to correspond to tank size if you change the tank.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:44 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
The EVIC is linked to tank size, there is option menu in the DRBIII to change it to correspond to tank size if you change the tank.
Okay cool. I am not sure yet if I want to run it dry (the tank) due to the issues I just finished with.

What spurred me to start this thread was 1.) I could not fill it to 26gallons, 2.) I was using fuel/cat cleaners and couldn't tell how much gas was in the tank.. and it was starting to frustrate me.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:41 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02CrCb
Okay cool. I am not sure yet if I want to run it dry (the tank) due to the issues I just finished with.

What spurred me to start this thread was 1.) I could not fill it to 26gallons, 2.) I was using fuel/cat cleaners and couldn't tell how much gas was in the tank.. and it was starting to frustrate me.
Other than just reading your gas gauge alone, what does the Estimated Fuel Range gauge say on your top console when you're near empty/on the red E line?When I get to quarter tank I switch the MPG counter to the range estimator on the center top console.

Basically I don't think anything is wrong with your truck, if anything the sending unit contacts on the fuel pump assembly are worn and causing a false reading.

I say you go ahead and bring a gas can with you and see where she stalls out at, keep track of every gallon you throw in and make sure you're near a gas station when you attempt this so that your readings are as accurate as possible. If you're worried about burning the pump out...don't chances are one time won't hurt it and if by chance it does you can buy a new pump assembly with sending unit included for $64.45 off of ebay with free shipping, and you won't need to remove the bed to change the pump. I've had Discount Body Parts pumps in my Neon and in my brothers Grand Am for the last 6 years, they last and even if they would blow, they're cheap enough to buy another & go for another 6 years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Electric...JWFciU&vxp=mtr

When my Neon read empty and where the needle finally fell on the bottom stopper I could fill that 12.5 gallon tank up to about 11.5 gallons and I still had gas left. Theres been times when I've went 50-60 miles beyond the needle stop point of the gauge so I know the tank could fit its rated capacity, not too many people curious to try that.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:27 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional

Originally Posted by JoshSlash87
Other than just reading your gas gauge alone, what does the Estimated Fuel Range gauge say on your top console when you're near empty/on the red E line?When I get to quarter tank I switch the MPG counter to the range estimator on the center top console.

Basically I don't think anything is wrong with your truck, if anything the sending unit contacts on the fuel pump assembly are worn and causing a false reading.

I say you go ahead and bring a gas can with you and see where she stalls out at, keep track of every gallon you throw in and make sure you're near a gas station when you attempt this so that your readings are as accurate as possible. If you're worried about burning the pump out...don't chances are one time won't hurt it and if by chance it does you can buy a new pump assembly with sending unit included for $64.45 off of ebay with free shipping, and you won't need to remove the bed to change the pump. I've had Discount Body Parts pumps in my Neon and in my brothers Grand Am for the last 6 years, they last and even if they would blow, they're cheap enough to buy another & go for another 6 years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Electric...JWFciU&vxp=mtr

When my Neon read empty and where the needle finally fell on the bottom stopper I could fill that 12.5 gallon tank up to about 11.5 gallons and I still had gas left. Theres been times when I've went 50-60 miles beyond the needle stop point of the gauge so I know the tank could fit its rated capacity, not too many people curious to try that.
I have 19 from "e" to "full" so I am more than positive that.. that extra 6 gallons is past "e". I did not have an owners book when purchasing this used truck so I did not read about the extra 6 and where it was or was supposed to be.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:22 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshSlash87
You're one dense person. I don't have to try any suggestion you come up with because You obviously have a hard time comprehending overall volume with tank liquid capacity.

I read and even agree with your comment on tank capacity and volume. the problem is to much of your personality is evident in your posts.

Last edited by primem; 02-20-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: 26 gallon tank? Every time I fill it is 19gal?!