3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

26 gallon tank? Every time I fill it is 19gal?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 04:45 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
I read and even agree with your comment on tank capacity and volume. the problem is to much of your personality is evident in your posts.
We both agree, its no problem as far as I'm concerned, I'm cool with you, its nothing personal. I'm sorry if I seemed like a dick.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 02-20-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:47 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black02CrCb
Well at red the most I have put it was right above 19 gallons. Not 20, still 19. I know there expansion and all, but why even say +6 gallons if you don't get that? Seems silly to me. I want to know when EMPTY is EMPTY.. never know when you will be driving through the desert or the zombie apocalypse happens.. I mean we gotta know when the limit is hit ya know!
Empty is when it spits an' sputters a few times and quits. However, if you're in the habit if running it down that low, a fuel pump in in your future.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:42 PM
Black02CrCb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Empty is when it spits an' sputters a few times and quits. However, if you're in the habit if running it down that low, a fuel pump in in your future.
I did get over 20 last night, I took it below red. That must be where our extra 6 gallons come in. Still I need to do it, to drive it all the way down just to see where BONE DRY is.

How is changing the fuel pump? I looked for a fuel filter and was surprised there was not one listed like on Fords and Chevys

Old 02-20-2016, 10:54 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02CrCb
I did get over 20 last night, I took it below red. That must be where our extra 6 gallons come in. Still I need to do it, to drive it all the way down just to see where BONE DRY is.

How is changing the fuel pump? I looked for a fuel filter and was surprised there was not one listed like on Fords and Chevys
Don't be fooled by the guys who want to have you take the box off of your truck to remove the tank, not everyone has friends that they will willingly come over to help lift your box off and then on (I'm lucky to get a hello back from my friends or a text back without asking for any help). You most certainly can remove the tank from the bottom by yourself and its not that bad of a job so long as the tank is near empty thus making the tank lighter to lift.

As stated before you can get a new fuel pump, filter &sending unit assembly for $60 on ebay. Just make sure you order one for a 6ft box, not the long bed which has a bigger capacity, some have stated there is a difference but I'm not sure.

Quick Reply: 26 gallon tank? Every time I fill it is 19gal?!