3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems with HVAC Modes??? (From face to feet to Windshield)

Old 02-20-2016, 11:16 PM
fordlover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with HVAC Modes??? (From face to feet to Windshield)

Im working on a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 with the Dizzle motor. The Heater was not working on the passenger side, always cold (problem pointed to passenger blend doors broken). Tore out the dash and HVAC box, replaced broken parts, replaced heater core and motor for good measure, put back together, recharged A/C. It works good.

About 2 weeks later my buddy is telling me the Mode selection is not working like it should. I test drive it and sure enough, its kinda slow and funky.

Examples of what it does: It goes from windshield to face in like 3 seconds. BUT it takes like 20 seconds to go from face to windshield. Sometimes it gets hungup(?) going to windshield and blows on feet and windshield, especially if motor is on high and cold.

Also, on the controls, there are the dots and stops that the switches can go to in between the modes, but do they do anything? Like 3/4 windshield and 1/4 foot??

Is this a common thing that you guys have experienced or is there something wrong? The doors were in good condition and I have pulled off a mode motor and tested the door and its works like it should. I don't know if I should look at replacing the motors or the control switch or just say "that's normal"....

Thanks

Old 02-21-2016, 06:56 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You blend doors are other working correctly and yes it is a common issue.

you can replacements from Autozone with a lifetime warranty on them

Old 02-23-2016, 12:09 AM
fordlover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which parts are you saying I can get from AutoZone with Lifetime warranty?

Has anyone tried to correct this or improve it? The speed of changing modes is what Im reffering to.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:51 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If the doors are fighting the airflow when changing modes, they are going to take longer. If you don't like the time it takes, turn the fan down before changing modes. Count your blessings that your doors still work!!!!

Old 02-25-2016, 05:55 PM
66three83
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Also, if you didn't replace every door and actuator motor in the entire HVAC assembly while you had it apart, you've wasted your time. They are all prone to failure. You may have fixed one problem, and had another pop up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems with HVAC Modes??? (From face to feet to Windshield)