3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Here's where we're at

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:06 PM
Iggy07
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Here's where we're at

First let me say "Thank you" to all that responded to the spark plug question of which one, sure enough that's what was in there. (Champion copper core)1 hr. for even bank, and some 2-1/2 hrs. for the odd bank, what a pain that is, behind and next to the brake booster .....crazy. Noticed some of the secondary coils rusted and splitting apart, will check some junk yards on this. Got better MPG and clean throttle (no I didn't move the butterfly) seems to respond better to the foot.

"Don't Dodge it RAM it"!

Old 02-28-2016, 10:02 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Not gonna lie... spark plugs is something I will pay someone else to do on my truck. I'm not exactly the most mobile and flexible person, so I don't mind letting someone else crawl around in there. I do most everything else, myself, but **** spark plugs...

Old 02-28-2016, 10:06 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
Not gonna lie... spark plugs is something I will pay someone else to do on my truck. I'm not exactly the most mobile and flexible person, so I don't mind letting someone else crawl around in there. I do most everything else, myself, but **** spark plugs...

Haha, I'm paying a young skinny guy at work to do mine. If you have a lift you can take the front wheels off and the fender shields and get to them much easier, but even then my old shoulder joints start screaming murder.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:51 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come on really?

Air ratchet to remove coils & plugs and you're off to the races, or buy a cheap Chicago tool impact from harbor freight and use it with some extensions and a swivel and you won't spend barely any time bending over the engine. The part that takes the longest is gapping the plugs and making sure the wires are going to the correct coils.

The brake booster side isn't as bad as some make it seem, use a few one inch extensions and once plug is removed you can pull the extensions & socket out, then use the old plug wire boot to pull the plug out of the tube. When you install the plugs use an old plug wire boot to install the plugs, then remove the rubber plug gripper out of your spark plug socket so it doesn't stick to the plug on install. I was able to use my air ratchet to easily do all of the plugs, and it made short work of coil removal as well.

I'm really surprised people get intimidated by this job, I'd rather do plugs on a Hemi than screw around with a small block chevy or other engine that has plugs exposed to the elements where I have to bust my knuckles to get them out.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:36 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Not intimidated, I am just an AK amp on the right side and have about 20% usage of my left leg. The spine doesn't rotate the way it used to anymore, either. My truck sits on a 3" body lift and 33" A/T tires. I pick my battles. Some things are just more trouble than they are worth to me.

Any more questions?

Last edited by Chet Ubetcha; 02-29-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:45 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
Not intimidated, I am just an AK amp on the right side and have about 20% usage of my left leg. The spine doesn't rotate the way it used to anymore, either. My truck sits on a 3" body lift and 33" A/T tires. I pick my battles. Some things are just more trouble than they are worth to me.

Any more questions?
That definitely puts things into perspective!, very valid issue.

As for the rest of us we need to wipe the tears away and get r done

I was born with a foot that needed 30 surgeries to straighten out and I get fatigued as well and have sore joints going up both legs from the bad alignment and I'm only 29, but my adrenaline & focus on a job keeps me from thinking about the pain and I only feel the pain once the job is over which is a small plus for me.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 03-01-2016 at 01:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Here's where we're at