3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

? about replacing fluids & other parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:55 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Royal Purple 5w20 every 5K or 6 months, whichever comes first... which is usually the 6 months.

Diffs every 15k.

Trans 30k or so.

Haven't touched power steering fluid, and from what I understand the coolant is good for 100k. I've asked about coolant around on here before, and that was the general consensus.

Opinions are good, but don't be a dick if someone recommends the most logical starting point.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:02 AM
cruzer55
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Owners manual as stated,or if you spend alot of time in the water,boatramps or mudding, hotroding more often.Tranny every 28000 mi.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hjlancas86
Yes but i was asking everyones opinion. Some people change fluids more often than what the manual says

It's always best to follow the manual's instructions. A classic example is there are too many people, on the Internet, who still subscribe to the 3,000 engine oil change myth when manufacturers have moved to 7,500 and up for almost every vehicle. Some high performance vehicles call for oil changes at 15,000 or even 25,000 miles.

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
Royal Purple 5w20 every 5K or 6 months, whichever comes first... which is usually the 6 months.

Diffs every 15k.

Trans 30k or so.

Haven't touched power steering fluid, and from what I understand the coolant is good for 100k. I've asked about coolant around on here before, and that was the general consensus.

Opinions are good, but don't be a dick if someone recommends the most logical starting point.
A local radiator guy explained to me that because there are so many dissimilar metals in modern engines, it's best to change the coolant every 24 months or per the mileage specified in the owner's manual *unless* the vehicle is lightly driven. He attends conferences every year, and at one there was a presentation of how electrolysis can be measured, and is taking place, in the cooling system, once a vehicle hits the end of the assembly line. That's all due to the dissimilar metals introduced in the last 20 years.

Last edited by Gary-L; 03-05-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Originally Posted by Gary-L
It's always best to follow the manual's instructions. A classic example is there are too many people, on the Internet, who still subscribe to the 3,000 engine oil change myth when manufacturers have moved to 7,500 and up for almost every vehicle. Some high performance vehicles call for oil changes at 15,000 or even 25,000 miles.

A local radiator guy explained to me that because there are so many dissimilar metals in modern engines, it's best to change the coolant every 24 months or per the mileage specified in the owner's manual *unless* the vehicle is lightly driven. He attends conferences every year, and at one there was a presentation of how electrolysis can be measured, and is taking place, in the cooling system, once a vehicle hits the end of the assembly line. That's all due to the dissimilar metals introduced in the last 20 years.
Good point. Thanks for the info. I don't doubt its validity. In all honesty, it's something I've been meaning to get around to doing, it's just way down there on the list.

As for oil changes, I've had that discussion many, many times. I know you were making general comments for the group here. Personally, I'm far from an expert, but I have comfortably settled somewhere in a happy median. I know 3K is way too often and unnecessary on modern engines, but I just can't bring myself to go over 7,500, especially since I don't have a computer monitoring oil life in my vehicle. I think spending the money twice a year is a good investment. Others may consider it wasteful. I figure if I can afford it, it can't hurt it. Now, what many STILL don't take into account is their oil filter. They see that they can go 5K, 7.5K, 10K+ between changes, but still use a cheap-o orange FRAM filter that is good for about 3K. Use a quality long-life filter if you are going to go large intervals between oil changes.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:27 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good point. Thanks for the info. I don't doubt its validity. In all honesty, it's something I've been meaning to get around to doing, it's just way down there on the list.

As for oil changes, I've had that discussion many, many times. I know you were making general comments for the group here. Personally, I'm far from an expert, but I have comfortably settled somewhere in a happy median. I know 3K is way too often and unnecessary on modern engines, but I just can't bring myself to go over 7,500, especially since I don't have a computer monitoring oil life in my vehicle. I think spending the money twice a year is a good investment. Others may consider it wasteful. I figure if I can afford it, it can't hurt it. Now, what many STILL don't take into account is their oil filter. They see that they can go 5K, 7.5K, 10K+ between changes, but still use a cheap-o orange FRAM filter that is good for about 3K. Use a quality long-life filter if you are going to go large intervals between oil changes.

Bob is the Oil Guy had a great documentary of two guys who performed a fresh oil and filter change on a mid-90s Camaro before they embarked on a cross-country drive. They tested the oil for particulates every X-thousand miles and basically changed the filter at prescribed intervals (I'm thinking 5,000 miles) and only topped off the oil. Their conclusion was that oil changes are not *that* necessary and that proper filtration is the key. They put something like 15,000 miles on their drive with only filter changes and topping off the oil.

Also, brake fluid should be changed approximately every 36 months as it is Hygroscopic unless DOT 4 or higher is in the system. The fluid should be clear no matter what. Someone challenged a couple of us on "who the hell changes their fluids regularly" in the 2nd Gen, and a couple of others chimed in with me. I shake my head at "gear heads" who won't think twice about spending large sums on flashy exhaust systems, rims, tires, lift kits, etc., but won't put forth the effort for economical and needed maintenance like fluids - coolant, brake fluid, and transmission fluids. Those three maintenance cycles are cheap insurance against high repair costs.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Take care of your vehicle, and it will take care of you.

I just did a full brake job last year, including a fluid flush. The difference was incredible. Getting ready to do the fluid on our Jeep when I can get some time.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Hjlancas86
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Royal Purple oil filter with the Royal Purple oil. I have yet to experience any problems yet. great oil. What kind of fluid do y'all use/trust with all other parts or does it even really matter with some? Im no expert by any means but I like to use quality so parts last longer.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:57 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

I use Royal Purple fluids in everything they make it for.

It's more expensive, and I'm not sure it's exponentially better than any other fluid (especially synthetics), but it's what I've used for as long as I can remember in this truck. I also use the RP oil filter. I can't back up my preference other than to say it's just what I like to use. Most any other synthetic fluid will probably be just as sufficient.

Last edited by Chet Ubetcha; 03-05-2016 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply: ? about replacing fluids & other parts