3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spring Compressor Emergency! Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:08 PM
tony1556
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring Compressor Emergency! Please Help

Hi everyone. This is my first post but only because I'm pretty good with the search button. You guys have helped a lot without even knowing it and I thank you. Now back to the thread. I have a 2006 1500 Hemi QCSB 2wd and I was installing a daystar coil spacer today. Everything was going good and I had the coil removed and placed in an old lock box for safety. I get started cleaning the coil bucket and hear a loud bang. Turns out the spring compressor gave out. I don't know how to compress the spring off of the truck and I want to know if anyone has had to deal with this before and what tips you can give me. Thanks guys. I really appreciate any responses I get.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:35 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are going to need probably 2 sets of spring compressors to get it off and ensure safety. You really need a good quality compressor to start off with, springs are scary as hell, you're lucky you weren't next to it when it let loose. You can always torch the spring off & get a new one as an option.

I went to help a female friends loser guy friends remove a strut spring one time on her late 80s Lumina, and the genius guys had sat on her hood & had some lucky soul pad lock the thing down in so many places that I couldn't get my spring compressors in anywhere safely to remove it let alone with enough throw to compress, I basically told them they screwed me over and themselves by pad locking it to compress the springs. It would have been an absolute nightmare to remove and I still get chills to this day what could have happened had I tried to slap the spring compressors on and try to remove the pad locks...I mean what the hell? I made her take back her new strut and buy the assembly with the spring already installed so I didn't have to mess with that widow maker her friends created out of her old strut.

Moral of the story is, if you don't feel safe don't be a hero, a new spring with heavy duty spring compressors is still cheaper than a hospital visit or funeral.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 03-09-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:36 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Go and rent the tools from Autozone to get the job done.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:49 PM
tony1556
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

I have two different spring compressors available but they are both the internal kind so I can't use them together. I'm trying to see if anybody has tips or a trick to compress the spring when it's out of the truck. I was able to compress it a little bit but not enough to fully seat the spring in the bucket. Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: Spring Compressor Emergency! Please Help