3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help diagnosing fan rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016 | 03:05 AM
Chet Ubetcha
|
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Default Help diagnosing fan rattle?

I have a rattling sound when my heater/AC is on. It seems to really be prominent and/or get worse when I turn the steering wheel. It's probably something simple to diagnose, but I'm baffled. I first thought it was the condenser fan, but pretty sure that is quiet as a mouse. It's not coming from under the dash. It almost sounds like it's coming from the radiator fan. I have been searching here and on YouTube for an answer, but can't come up with anything definitive. Any ideas?

Old 03-30-2016 | 09:00 AM
dss56
Professional

I would open the hood and with the motor off grab the fan and wiggle it to see if the bearings are gone on the clutch fan. I just replaced one on my truck it had some play to the clutch fan bearings were bad and made a squealing noise.
Next there could be something in the heater fan housing, simple to remove the fan motor. Thyen clean out the housing might be some leaves or debris in there hitting the cage.
Remove the electrical connector and then I think 3-4 bolts that hold the motor in the housing located near the passenger side under dash. Then motor and squirrel cage will come out in one piece.

I would put the heater fan in the on position and change speeds to see if it will change the noise with the speed if so you need a new heater motor.
You could also when motor is on and making noise get under the passenger side dash and tap the motor and see if it will change the sound of the noise if so a new heater motor is needed.

good luck

Old 03-30-2016 | 07:35 PM
Chet Ubetcha
|
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Thanks. I will try and get out there to examine the clutch fan closer today. I do think that's where it's coming from. What gets me (and there's probably a simple explanation for this that I don't know, myself) is that it gets louder and worse when I turn the steering wheel side to side. I have had a Flex-A-Lite e-fan sitting in the box for a few years now that I've been meaning to get around to (need some assistance doing so), so this might be the kick in the butt I need to install it.

thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-02-2016 | 09:15 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

How many years ago you first posted about installing that efan?

Don't get me started...

Old 04-03-2016 | 12:06 AM
Chet Ubetcha
|
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

By "meaning to install", I mean, "got put in the back of the storage shed when we moved and I haven't really thought about it too much since then".

I'll have you know I *DID* finally ground the throttle body. No major differences, but seems to maybe idle a little better.

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing fan rattle?