3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Repowered 03 RAM 1500 4x4 running rough and stalling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 03:36 PM
firemedic247
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repowered 03 RAM 1500 4x4 running rough and stalling.

Hey guys after months of fighting the rocker arm issues. I decided to repower my truck with a crate remaned engine from Powertrain Products. After the installation the engine was running pretty rough and stalling while driving like it was bad fuel. It did sit up for 6 months before I had the motor put in. The mechanic said to run it out of fuel and fill up with 93 nonethanol and run some injector cleaner through it. Did that and it's still acting up and not throwing any CEL codes. Since it's not throwing any codes my mechanic and I are at a loss. I would hate to start throwing parts at it with out knowing what was wrong first. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:17 AM
cruzer55
Veteran

What changes in the motor?Could be the PCM isn't talking to the changes you did.Most of the time it's a overlooked item.All the money you spent and truck isn't performing to desired performance,bummer!!If you can,find a upgrade PCM,borrow if possible,plug in and if it clears the problem you've solved the problem.Just a thought.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:16 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Was it a generic crate engine? 03's don't have EGR, is the EGR port on the engine blocked off?

Old 04-13-2016, 07:23 PM
firemedic247

I made sure when I bought the engine, that they knew it was a non EGR engine. Powertrain products seemed to have all the answers to my questions about fixing the known problems with the 4.7's. The truck is back at the shop and the mechanic says labor is on him since it wasn't running right from the get go. So he replaced crankshaft sensor, oil sender, and it's still stalling. I'll pass on the PCM and EGR ideas. Thanks for the ideas keep them coming. I'll update once I hear back from him.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:55 PM
firemedic247

Alright. Got my truck back but it's not right. I've lost faith in the shop in hoping to get it right. It's no longer stalling but now it doesn't start right up. It will start up on the second attempt or after you turn and hold the key in the start position for a couple of seconds. Also while driving it at a cruising speed of 50-60 MPH and 1500 RPM the truck starts bucking and acting like it is misfiring when you accelerate. If you get above this range it seems to smooth out. But I can tell it's not running right. I bought this truck brand new so after 13 years I know it front to back. Could this be a timing issue or a transmission issue. It also started throwing a P0302 misfire cylinder 2. I had new plugs and coils put on it so it could also be an injector possibly. I guess I should just go ahead and take it to a dealership and pay their high *** rates.

Quick Reply: Repowered 03 RAM 1500 4x4 running rough and stalling.