3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whacky oil pressure reading

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:15 PM
Secondhandlion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whacky oil pressure reading

Has anybody else gone through this? My '02 Ram 1500 w/4.7 motor and 229,018 miles has developed a strange problem. When I start the truck in the morning, I have full oil pressure on the gauge, driving shows full oil pressure, but after its all warmed up and drops to an idle or so, the oil pressure drops... then comes up, then drops, then comes up as I resume driving. Sometimes when I'm waiting for a light (at idle), the needle swings up and down and, of course, I get the "BING" and "CHECK GAGES" light. I have changed the sending unit, the oil is at capacity, and there is no discernible noise in the motor. I probably should put a mechanical gauge on it just to check the oil pressure and make sure that I am not, in fact, truly losing oil pressure. Some have suggested that the gauge itself may be bad but I figured I'd run it by you guys first.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:26 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Secondhandlion
Has anybody else gone through this? My '02 Ram 1500 w/4.7 motor and 229,018 miles has developed a strange problem. When I start the truck in the morning, I have full oil pressure on the gauge, driving shows full oil pressure, but after its all warmed up and drops to an idle or so, the oil pressure drops... then comes up, then drops, then comes up as I resume driving. Sometimes when I'm waiting for a light (at idle), the needle swings up and down and, of course, I get the "BING" and "CHECK GAGES" light. I have changed the sending unit, the oil is at capacity, and there is no discernible noise in the motor. I probably should put a mechanical gauge on it just to check the oil pressure and make sure that I am not, in fact, truly losing oil pressure. Some have suggested that the gauge itself may be bad but I figured I'd run it by you guys first.
The gauge in our dash isn't more than a dummy gauge. It either shows you having perfect oil pressure or none. I'd verify it with a mechanic gauge

Old 04-20-2016, 07:11 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, it's not a gauge, it's an idiot light with a pointer.

Quick Reply: Whacky oil pressure reading