3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2008 Dodge Ram no crank +other issues when turning key.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:04 AM
Joe Franklin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Ram no crank +other issues when turning key.

Hello all, new to the forum, here goes. I have a 2008 4.7 1500 Ram that doesn't crank. The headlights do turn on and the horn blows. When I turn on the radio or the Heat/Ac with the key in the "On" position they turn on. However, once I turn the key they both turn off and then will turn back on after about 10 seconds and a "ding" sound once back in the "On" position. Battery is good and also used a boost off a charger just in case. Any help with be greatly appreciated

Old 04-20-2016, 11:23 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Battery terminals. Bad grounds.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:38 AM
dss56
Professional

Go out to truck and check the battery cable connections. If good then I would check cable to starter make sure all is tight and no corrosion. Then I would get a small hammer or a rubber hammer and hit the starter a few times. The armature might be bad and it might of stopped in a dead spot. If all cables are good do the starter like I said with a hammer then try to start. If hitting the starter works time for a new starter!!!

Good Luck

Old 04-20-2016, 02:16 PM
Joe Franklin

Originally Posted by dss56
Go out to truck and check the battery cable connections. If good then I would check cable to starter make sure all is tight and no corrosion. Then I would get a small hammer or a rubber hammer and hit the starter a few times. The armature might be bad and it might of stopped in a dead spot. If all cables are good do the starter like I said with a hammer then try to start. If hitting the starter works time for a new starter!!!

Good Luck
Thanks! Would the bad terminals or connections cause the lights (dome and headlight) to still stay on? Those are still at a bright level even when turning the key. Just the Radio and the hvac turn off and no crank.

Old 04-20-2016, 02:36 PM
dss56
Professional

Yes light would work and other items that do not draw high current.

Just check all cables from battery plus and negative to truck frame and to positive on starter.

Some times a battery will check ok but when a large draw or current happens and its not putting out it will have symptoms you have.
Battery might show 12-13 volts but might have a bad cell and thats why it would not take a jump start.
Get a battery from another vehicle and try that and see if it will start.

Quick Reply: 2008 Dodge Ram no crank +other issues when turning key.