3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shaking/vibrating when steering right

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 05:19 PM
Markmm0000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking/vibrating when steering right

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my 05 4x4 single cab long bed hemi. I'm getting a shake or vibration when turning right only. If the wheel is dead center at 35mph I get nothing but the second I put the wheel even an inch to the right it shakes. This doesn't happen at low speeds. You can feel it in the front end and the steering wheel. I had a similar problem and replaced the r/f cv axle with an autozone axle and it was gone. I checked it yesterday and the upper balljoint frame mount bolts came loose and the rear bolt was sliding in and out when turning the wheel hard to the right. Now I tightened it up where it looked like it was originally and it still shakes. It has 2 new BFG all terrains in the front. L/f cv axle is 1.5 years old and from autozone. 4 new shocks. The front end is tight aside from the r/f lower balljoint but I'm not convinced that is causing my problem. This got progressively worse. I'm going to do the balljoint but if anyone has any tips it would be appreciated.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:21 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Markmm0000
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my 05 4x4 single cab long bed hemi. I'm getting a shake or vibration when turning right only. If the wheel is dead center at 35mph I get nothing but the second I put the wheel even an inch to the right it shakes. This doesn't happen at low speeds. You can feel it in the front end and the steering wheel. I had a similar problem and replaced the r/f cv axle with an autozone axle and it was gone. I checked it yesterday and the upper balljoint frame mount bolts came loose and the rear bolt was sliding in and out when turning the wheel hard to the right. Now I tightened it up where it looked like it was originally and it still shakes. It has 2 new BFG all terrains in the front. L/f cv axle is 1.5 years old and from autozone. 4 new shocks. The front end is tight aside from the r/f lower balljoint but I'm not convinced that is causing my problem. This got progressively worse. I'm going to do the balljoint but if anyone has any tips it would be appreciated.
Bad tie rod ends will do that, ball joint as well ;-)

The only reason your CV job probably fixed the issue is because you have to pop the knuckle loose from the ball joint to remove/install the CV and when you assembled it you probably aligned itself temporarily.

Ball joint or tie rod end is your problem. I have to do a passengers side upper ball joint next week and mine likes to pull to the right and has a slight shake to it.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:38 PM
TejasMtnBiker
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

worn inner tie rods as well while your in that deep might as well they are a cheap fix too

Quick Reply: Shaking/vibrating when steering right