3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pace setter headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 12:32 AM
Brentb1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pace setter headers

I bought a 2005 ram 5.7 and I am going to put on some performance parts, I already have CAI and cat back. I am going to put on bigger TB and Pace Setter headers. I seen on ebay they have the headers for 250-750 with coating, it seems like a big price diff from the PS web site; are the eBay's knock offs or is that what they are selling for?

Old 05-05-2016, 05:18 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are only a few Ebay knock offs, and they never have a name brand or a great brand name on them. If they say Pace Setter on them and also have the Pace Setter model number or part number listed in the add then they aren't knock offs, they're the real deal. If it says "Pace Setter" on the ebay listing and once you get them they aren't, you at least always have PayPal to back you as the buyer of the item to cover any potential losses. Always look at their feedback rating & view their buyer feedback posts.

The reason the headers might be cheaper, is because some header companies like to coat their headers in a ceramic coating or other type of coating or finish to help preserve them or beautify them, the headers you're looking at may be base model headers. If that's not the case, then it could simply be a middle man company trying to get rid of old stock or keep their inventory moving.

Using PayPal, Reading feedback and verifying part numbers is a great way to use ebay to your advantage!. For instance, my JBA Headers are I believe 1960s for their part number, make sure your part number matches the name brand headers and you'll be fine ;-) . There are a ton of great deals on ebay, especially when buying complete gasket kits, engine parts & ect. For general engine repair & things, Rock Auto also is a great place to find super deals! They can be up to half the price of factory direct parts on name brand items.

Buy with confidence!

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 05-05-2016 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:15 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't bother with the TB unless you really have your heart set on it. If you aren't stroking/forced induction/cam and head work you won't really get any gains for the price.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:44 PM
Brentb1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info regarding Ebay, the headers I am going to get have the Armor coating the part number is
72C2211 . As far as the TB is concerned, if I don't need it I will not get it. As of now I want to get the most out of stock engine. When this engine is starting to go then I will build a decent one with cam etc. I am trying to research and get a good understanding of this truck and how to get the most out of it

Old 05-05-2016, 08:43 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

forget headers, everyone thinks woo hoo, but in reality, your still flowing into the stock Y Pipe which is crap. the logs flow just as good, spend the 75.00 and get a larger Y pipe, you would be amazed at the gains by not breaking the bank.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:42 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Originally Posted by superdak05
forget headers, everyone thinks woo hoo, but in reality, your still flowing into the stock Y Pipe which is crap. the logs flow just as good, spend the 75.00 and get a larger Y pipe, you would be amazed at the gains by not breaking the bank.
I see that you're one of those that ignores dyno numbers.

I have a stock Y pipe on my truck and I assure you that 2 1/4 pipe is large enough to support some impressive gains of headers over the stock manifolds even with mid length headers. I don't think your Mr Magoo eye ***** have stared down the flange end of a stock hemi manifold long enough to realize that the bottle neck isn't at the Y Pipe.

You're probably right, a person would see some gains with a slightly bigger Y Pipe, but ignoring the headers in favor of a y pipe makes zero sense. My JBA mid length headers were dyno tested to provide 15 peak hp and up to 20-25 ft pounds of torque across the whole power band (to the wheels none the less!) with a stock Y Pipe, there are others that have dyno confirmed this as well.

People are usually intimidated by performance items that cost a lot of money and are quick to discredit & bash them as a result. I've heard unbelievably untrue things about Superchips tuners, Shorty & Mid length headers as well as larger than stock throttle bodies but opinions aside dynamometers do not lie, these things are proven power end of story.

One might want to ask the Camaro driver I blew away today if my Y Pipe is holding my truck back!

Scout craigslist & ebay for deals on tuners, headers & throttle bodies, they exist!. Between my tuner and headers I have spent $150 on each and knowing what they brought to my truck now, had I not found them both for a great price on craigslist I'd have paid full price brand new and been happy with the results, they really delivered! and its well beyond the butt dyno feel.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 05-06-2016 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:38 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshSlash87
I see that you're one of those that ignores dyno numbers.

I have a stock Y pipe on my truck and I assure you that 2 1/4 pipe is large enough to support some impressive gains of headers over the stock manifolds even with mid length headers. I don't think your Mr McGoo eye ***** have stared down the flange end of a stock hemi manifold long enough to realize that the bottle neck isn't at the Y Pipe.

You're probably right, a person would see some gains with a slightly bigger Y Pipe, but ignoring the headers in favor of a y pipe makes zero sense. My JBA mid length headers were dyno tested to provide 15 peak hp and up to 20-25 ft pounds of torque across the whole power band (to the wheels none the less!) with a stock Y Pipe, there are others that have dyno confirmed this as well.

People are usually intimidated by performance items that cost a lot of money and are quick to discredit & bash them as a result. I've heard unbelievably untrue things about Superchips tuners, Shorty & Mid length headers as well as larger than stock throttle bodies but opinions aside dynamometers do not lie, these things are proven power end of story.

One might want to ask the Camaro driver I blew away today if my Y Pipe is holding my truck back!

Scout craigslist & ebay for deals on tuners, headers & throttle bodies, they exist!. Between my tuner and headers I have spent $150 on each and knowing what they brought to my truck now, had I not found them both for a great price on craigslist I'd have paid full price brand new and been happy with the results, they really delivered! and its well beyond the butt dyno feel.
You give a lot of detailed advice around here that seems supported by fact and experience, but you need to ease off on the insults. Thanks.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:51 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
You give a lot of detailed advice around here that seems supported by fact and experience, but you need to ease off on the insults. Thanks.
I'll apologize in advance but I assure you it wasn't meant to be an insult (Mr Magoo had bad eye sight and he was a millionaire who was compounded by his stubborn refusal to admit a problem), I was just innocently asserting that his eyes must be bad if he could not see the restrictions in the stock manifold. Meant no actual harm by what I said and I hope he knows that

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 05-06-2016 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:55 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Roger that. It's all good.

Quick Reply: Pace setter headers