3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cooler thermostats

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 09:13 PM
spiffdank3.7
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooler thermostats

I just bought the stage two chip from jet, dont have specs or anything for my truck, but i hear alot about cooler thermostats, are they worth it, do i need it, where do i get it, iv looked everywhere,

Old 09-08-2008, 08:38 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

don't get a cooler thermostat for our truck. our cooling systems are ridiculously efficient. it takes long enough to get that thing warmed up.

if you don't wanna take my advice on not getting one, just do some googling real quick...

i know that jet stage two says it's necesarry, but it's just a ploy to make you think it does a lot more than it does. we all know what a jetstage 2 does...it's like 8 more hp throughout out powerband...and i'm sure that has little or nothign to do with the equipping of a cai or better plugs or a lowtemp t-stat...

Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 PM
7mmmag1
Professional

well, they probably want you to run the cooler thermostat because it will result in more power. putting a cooler thermostat in will trick the computer into thinking the air is denser, so it is going to add more fuel to keep to air to fuel ratio constant, so you will have more power, but burn more fuel using a cooler thermostat (its an old racers trick)

Old 09-14-2008, 04:57 PM
nfisher

with OBD II and emissions controls, running a low temp t-stat on our 3.7L is a bad idea. it will cause your truck a lot of harm. But I am not going to waste my time trying to convince you otherwise. read up on OBDII, emission controls, and how a thermostat contributes to the process. If you are smart, you will not replace your stock 195 t-stat. but if you do, just pay very close attention to your trucks performance for the few months after install, and the minute you notice your truck hesitating, knocking, timing problems, take the fcker out and learn your lesson. you won't find any low temp t-stats advertised for the 3.7L. call your local dodge dealer and ask them if the 4.7L stock t-stat and the 3.7L stock t-stat are the same part. you will then get the answer you are looking for (yes, it is), and go buy a Mr. Gasket or Jet 180F t-stat that fits a 4.7L. But dude, inform yourself before you do this, so you will know what you are doing to your engine, and then you won't do it. seriously, read up and don't let your anxiousness to throw in the Jet Chip override your common sense. good luck and don't take offense to my opinion. in the end, it's fun to modify any car/truck, but just make sure you know everything about how the mod will affect other components of your toy. late.

Quick Reply: cooler thermostats