3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 Ram 5.7 intermittent sputter w/ P0335 code

Old 06-09-2016, 03:13 PM
TxRanger_RAMfan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2007 Ram 5.7 intermittent sputter w/ P0335 code

My 2007 Ram 1500 5.7 was having intermittent misfiring and sputtering issues several weeks back that had been going on for a month or more. I decided to change the spark plugs as the first effort to correct the problem. The service dept at the local Dodge dealership replaced them the first time (~50,000 miles) but I decided to do it this time. After I got started, I discovered the root cause of my original problem was cylinder 7 coil pack wasn't screwed down, both bolts were gone and it was sitting up at an angle with the upper boot partially exposed. After replacing the plugs, coil packs and cleaning the throttle body (since I had it torn down this far), I started it and it ran like smooth and strong like it was new.
Last week while driving in the rain at highway speeds, the engine sputtered and the tach dropped to zero. After a second or two, the tach jumped back up as the engine came back to life and I continued on (no CEL yet). It stumbled again a few minutes later, this time the CEL came on, flashing at times. OBDII read the engine codes P0335, P1128 and P1129. On the return trip to the house, the engine cranked for 10-15 seconds before it started but made it home. I did notice the RPMs were running higher than normal on the highway (~3K) and switching into Tow or O/D off had no effect on engine RPM.

The truck sat over the weekend without being driven (out of town) but started without issue Sunday night and ran fine the 1st two trips to and from work (37 miles round trip). It ran fine this morning going to work but while driving to lunch, it sputtered and died pulling out of a parking lot. It started right back up but sputtered again 1 time and the CEL came back on. I've left the analyzer connected since this first happened and its showing P0335, P1128 and P1129 codes again.

Is it typical for the crankshaft position sensor (P0335) to start failing intermittently before they quit working or could there be something else going on I should check/replace as well.

(Sorry for the long back story but hoping it helps knowing what led up to the current issue.)

Old 06-10-2016, 10:08 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

The other two codes a O2 heater circuit issues. I would change both cam and crank sensors.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:19 PM
TxRanger_RAMfan

I have a new crankshaft sensor and will put that in tonight. The cam sensor will have to wait till tomorrow. Question: once one or both sensors are replaced, is there anything I need to reset or do before starting the engine or just crank it up and see if it runs?

Old 06-11-2016, 02:55 AM
TxRanger_RAMfan

I removed the sensor and found oil inside the connector. The truck started fine with the new sensor installed but under hard acceleration the CEL started flashing and the analyzer displays P0300 (mult cyl misfires) but isn't running rough. Ideas?

Old 06-11-2016, 07:41 AM
p38251
Record Breaker

Pull the battery cables to reset the pcm.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:05 PM
TxRanger_RAMfan

Resetting the PCM seems to have cleared it up. It's running good, no flashing CEL under hard acceleration. For now it seems to be good to go. Thanks p38251.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:54 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Glad you got it

Old 07-24-2016, 02:15 PM
First Ram

I bought my first Dodge last year. It's been a love/hate relationship. It's a 2008 Ram Hemi 4x4 that had 150k on it. Not knowing what the previous owner had or had not done to it. All problems synonymous with Dodges this truck had. First after two weeks, the dash cracked. There's $200 for a Coverlay. Then the water pump... $400, then the alternator/ battery. $400. I put a Spectre Cold Air Intake on it. Throttle response/MPG did improve but there was a nagging sputter I couldn't take. I replaced the PCV and EGR, that helped but the sputter was still there ( even when a "professional" mechanic drove it and said it ran fine. Well I decided the previous owner probably didn't change the plugs so I got those changed to Platinum the other day. Lo and behold, mechanic noticed the valve cover gasket was bad and leaking oil on the plug, thus the sputter. While he was at it he cleaned the throttle body. Now she runs and sings beautifully.waiting to see how my MPG will improve. It corrected what I thought was a bad MDS signal. No more O/D OFF to make it run right. I'm thinking these newer autos are temperamental. When one thing goes out, it effects a lot of other things. Now I've got Bilstein shocks and drilled/slotted rotors on the way. I give the brakes on this thing a C-. Then I'm going to change out the exhaust system. Read that "shorty" headers are a waste of $$. Don't know if I'm going long tube headers or just go stainless steel exhaust on existing system. Then I'll get the bed sprayed. I hope to have it for a long time.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:07 PM
First Ram
Default More problems

Oh the other day I had to replace the A/C condenser fan motor. Actually that helped the way the truck ran also.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:59 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

It's has 150k things are going to break. You said who knows what the previous owner did. I hope you have the 4.7. Hemi's do not like platinum plugs. I am sure it's die shocks, transmission fluid change. T case differentials, coolant, ball joints tie rods. And who knows what else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Ram 5.7 intermittent sputter w/ P0335 code